Where can I buy 'bed kits'?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a funny shape room.
Longest width is 190cm.

The UK mattress is 190cm in length - but the bed frame always a few cm's longer.

We bought an Ikea cabin bed - 200cm in width.
Ooops. Going back to be returned.

I just had a thought: surely you can buy 'bed kits'?
Just a few pieces of ready cut wood?

I've searched on google but can't find anything.

I've seen plenty of videos on youtube. Pretty simple - but I don't want to buy the cutting machines and other things needed. I'd prefer to pay for ready cut wood.

Where can I buy from?

Ideally, I'd like a high bed with big draws underneath. Something you can do easily if making your own bed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Never seen them, but maybe that's because there's no market for them, and TBH most beds from places like Next, Argos, etc come as flat packs (i.e. kits). Making your own bed frame isn't that difficult and can be done with fairly basic tools (saw, square, drill, tape measure, etc) especially if you go to B&Q and get them to cut the timber to size for you, so would there be a market for kits in any case? Oh, and as you discovered. IKEA use non-standard matress sizes so if you use their beds with a standard mattress there will be a bit of modding required (generally shorten the bed and increase the width but don't ask me how I know that)

I don't want to buy the cutting machines and other things needed. I'd prefer to pay for ready cut wood.

Where can I buy from?

Some DIY sheds will cut timber to size for you. This is especially good with ply and other sheet material where they can cut a straighter, squarer and cleaner edge than you can do at home.

Expect to do some trimming as your walls are not flat, straight and square.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies guys

i want a full size mattress - there's enough space
it's just the frame size

i had a thought...
maybe buying a wood frame would be OK
making shorter and fit would be an easier task

i'm surprised you can't buy 'bed kits'
i'm sure you can buy memory foam mattress to fit any size - can't remember where i saw

you seem to want to fit a mattress the same size as the space your mattress will have to be around 125-150mm smaller 2x18mm skirting 2x30mm frame 2x12mm mattress to frame gap
i personally would put a 2x1" baton around the alcove and just have the front frame slightly shortened screwed to the wall each end the correct distance from the back wall for the slats to fit in

Last edited:
By the way, if it comes to it, foam mattress can easily be cut down to size. It was a good few years ago, but I was after an odd size for a bed in a van. It was cheaper to buy an ikea mattress and cut it to shape than get a custom made one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back