Where can I buy JIG for Mitre worktops?

S

snadge

where can I buy mitre jigs to cut worktops? the worktops are 62mm

EDIT: are laminate ones any good? which are much cheaper than steel and whats this "30mm guide bush"..?

also, can anyone advise what sort of router blade i need for the job?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it , you mean the worktops are 620mm wide, not 62mm thick?

As Foxy says there's a multitude of online places. Even B&Q sell worktop jigs these days. If you only have a few cuts to do, then go for a fairly cheap kitchenfitters set. If your going to be using it lots then go for the Trend router bit with replaceable blades.

Sponsored Links
Many online shops do them along with router setes for worktops.
Screwfix, toolstation,tools4trade, etc.

thanks

are laminate ones any good? which are much cheaper than steel and whats this "30mm guide bush"..?

our worktop is 620mm - dead on from IKEA... i can only find 616mm guides?

the trend kw900 will do mitre joints as well as standard joints .
hve a look at trends website i'm sure they have a "how to" film on there

yeah its 620mm wide but on ones ive seen this size isnt mentioned... nearest is 618mm

yeah its 620mm wide but on ones ive seen this size isnt mentioned... nearest is 618mm
Yes this will be a problem but it can be overcome. I think I managed to use the smaller jig but was unable to use the locating dowels. Was a real pain. Not an easy job. The 30mm guide bush screws to router to fit in slot in jig. This should come with router. It needs to be a powerfull 1/2" router.
Try a hire shop, I think at the time I saw a jig that could do 500 TO 700 worktops.

Yes this will be a problem but it can be overcome. I think I managed to use the smaller jig but was unable to use the locating dowels. Was a real pain. Not an easy job. The 30mm guide bush screws to router to fit in slot in jig. This should come with router. It needs to be a powerfull 1/2" router.
Try a hire shop, I think at the time I saw a jig that could do 500 TO 700 worktops.

yeah these are the worktops im looking at... but there is no 620...
400, 500, 600, 618, 650, 700
can you use 650 on a 620 worktop?

surely there must be a 620 jig one if not?

an ebay seller selling the tools for job said this "For solid wood worktops we would recommend you buy our solid wood worktop Jig item number: 140299707820. This would be able to cut a 620mm Worktop. We would not recommend the standard 90 degree worktop cut as wood expands and therefore it is very difficult to cut the radius so that the join matches correctly."

is this true? - i would have thought a male/female small mason joint would be the way to go if your spending the money ON routers etc

timber worktops are butted up ,no mitre, just biscuits and bolts, and silicone, dont use glue

timber worktops are butted up ,no mitre, just biscuits and bolts, and silicone, dont use glue

im lost with all this lol....

what im on about is a left-hand/right-hand cut (male/female) - where u use the router to cut the female out the side of one unit - it has a little 45 degree bend in it at bottom.... if thats NOT a mitre then what is exactly? is that 45 degree bend a 'Mitre' ?

the ebay seller linked me to a Jig that has NO 45 degree bend on it, yet this guy whos video im gunna follow for practise on old worktop before cutting ours is doing exactly what I want on the same worktop as ours...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdwmLRhva5o

also, none of the jigs ive see have "620mm" on them - 400,500,600,618,650,700 - no 620 .... someone else says they had same problem and used 618mm which meant they couldn't use the locating dowel (whatever that is) and was a real pain....

ive rang SEVERAL joiners to get a qoute for the job, none of which have the tools and the only man that did set a price 3-4 times over the rate it should be... so im just gunna buy the tools and diy - if I could find someone how much should I expect to be charged for fitting them? there will be two joins, one splice and hob+sink to cut out... i havent fixed in units incase they want to do it to make sure theyre level to their expectations...... ...how much?

go to screwfix i am sure they will have one there, failing that your local budget & queue. I here they have a trade section now.
Failing that then go to howdens but remember to bring someone in the trade along ;)

The male female joint you are talking about is called a masons mitre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason's_mitre
This is the jig I bought.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83161/Hand-Tools/Carpenters-Jigs/Unika-Budget-Worktop-Jig#
Here are the instructions for the jig I bought
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/17/p4769417.pdf
If you look you will see that when doing the female cut there are no holes to do a 620 worktop for the pegs. I used this jig but had to locate it manually with a steel rule. Hope this makes it clear.
Now what the professionals are trying to say is you do not use this type of joint for solid wood. I did not know this but mine was laminate.

so why are other "professionals" advising (on this website) to do a mason mitre for oak worktop and the bloke on the video above is clearly doing one on an Oak worktop exactly same as ours? - I think what they (professionals) refer to as NOT to mitre is a 90'degree mitre which isnt the same as masons mitre (as far as im aware) - my worktops wont just 'BUTT UP' without any sort of male/female cuts, they HAVE to be mitred, just mason mitre and not 90 degree mitre...

....just so confusing, cant seem to get a straight answer - she chomping at the bit to get it done and im no further forward! - i dont want to have to use a Jig that doesnt fit and have run it in manually then clamp it up because its wrong and could still move - it should have 620mm pegs... why dont they make these 620mm templates then? surely all this is wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back