Where can I source hard wood from in the North West?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to build a coffee table out of a piece glass I have left over from an old desk and I want to build the frame out of quite a light coloured hardwood that will take a nice stain.

I live in Warrington and I can't find anywhere locally that sells hardwood. I've looked on line and there always seems to be a minimum order of several hundred pounds and I don't need that much.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best bet would be to phone around or visit local timber yards and have a nose around their stock. For my money, when making furniture, it is better to personally view/select the wood so that you get the exact look you want.

Know its a bit of a drive from warrington but iv used "George Hill timber, in oldham for hardwood, good firm, and helpful, usaly have some in stock but can order it in for you. But as above, try some local timber yards (ones that specilaise in timber rarther then normal builders merchant that does a bit of common timber) if they have some in stock or can get it.

Thanks for that if it comes to it I will contact them. I'm surprised how much more difficult it is to source materials than I thought it would be.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the world of furniture making! :)
I would also strongly advise seeing the timber and being allowed to select it yourself, unless it's a supplier who knows you and your requirements.
You wouldn't believe some of the crepe I've had turn up as "firsts" and "clear" when I've bought sight unseen. In any case it's nice to be able to pick grain figure etc, to suit job.

Thanks for the tip, in the past I've only ever worked with MDF but I want to make something of a much higher quality.

Why not make it out of a nice piece of larch or douglas fir?
Should be a bit easier and cheaper to source?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back