Where do I go from here ... old oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Let me bullet point out my ineffiicent, sooty and under-performing system - I'm looking for advice on what to go for next ....

Currently I have:
- oil fuel boiler housed in the utility room (which seems to leave a soot everywhere over a few months)
- boulter camray over 7 yrs old
- a gravity system with a tank in the loft and a cylinder in a cupboard on the 1st floor
- a pump to push hot water & cold to the showers
- radiators throughout

A few other facts:
- In previous houses we have always had combi boilers and really got used to the hot water on demand
- the current cylinder fills the cupboard space available but old gives us 2 short showers in a morning - the power shower takes all the water quickly
- we have a store room in the garage that could house a boiler and or cylinder (if pressurised I presume) etc

So a few questions:
- what do people recomend as a new boiler system?
- could we house it in the garage?

Many thanks in advance

Darren

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is only 7 years old(not old for a oil fired boiler..
It shouldnt soot up after a while so i would address this first.
Have you had it serviced if not please do so,if you have call another engineer ;)
You can get an oftec engineer in your area by checking their web site :LOL:
Yes you can have it in the garage if you can get pipes to airing cupbourd ok
Where are you based?

You will spend a lot of money to move a boiler. That's inefficient. Install an electric shower. That will reduce oil use. Otherwise, gasandoilman has said it all.

Sponsored Links
Based near Hemel hempstead.

All the bathrooms have just been done so wouldnt want to move to an eletric shower.

Are there not new boilers out there that have big pressures cylinders integral to them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back