Replacing Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

We are thinking of replacing our oil heating boiler.

Our house has an open fire back boiler and when we do some work we will have approx about 40 radiators to heat as well as water cylinder.

The system has a water storage tank in loft which feeds the water cylinder. The current boiler is probably 25 yrs + and it takes a long time to heat and just not efficient anymore.

What's the best boiler to look at for my setup? The current boiler is inside and if possible would like to keep it inside but a bit more quieter and pleasing to the eye as we are looking to have this room as a pantry of the kitchen.

Also, what would be a general ball park figure when doing this work?

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Generally well thought of, and a good choice.....it’s worth asking the local guys what they like though as they will know the back up and spares situation where you are.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Hounsfield Boilers....very well respected on here.
John :)
Sadly I'm not sure even the biggest Hounsfield is going to be up to the job of running 40 radiators. Could maybe have two side by side if the OP has space?

@Breeno you really need to do a full heat loss calculation on your house to find out what power output your boiler needs to be capable of. Heat Engineer is a great one to use.

Assuming Hounsfield's biggest boiler (30kW) won't quite keep up, the next one to look at is the Navien LCB700 RS 36kW. I've fitted a few of these now, the technology is light years ahead of the likes of Grant, and you get a 10 year warranty. Really nice boilers and very competitively priced too.

If you want to use your back boiler as well then you may think of fitting a
neutraliser, and you may need to fit two boilers and an unvented tank or a heat store could be a path to go. Bob

Assuming Hounsfield's biggest boiler (30kW) won't quite keep up, the next one to look at is the Navien LCB700 RS 36kW. I've fitted a few of these now, the technology is light years ahead of the likes of Grant, and you get a 10 year warranty. Really nice boilers and very competitively priced too.

I have not even seen a Navien on my travels.

Far better to fit one with an industry proven burner which has replacement parts available from stock in any town in the uk. Most of these parts are so widely used that they are essential Van stock to most service eng's.

I have not even seen a Navien on my travels.

Far better to fit one with an industry proven burner which has replacement parts available from stock in any town in the uk. Most of these parts are so widely used that they are essential Van stock to most service eng's.
They've only been available for about a year, so it's not surprising you've not seen one if you're not fitting them. Still got some familiar parts on them - Danfoss pump & solenoids - and you don't need to worry about capacitors with them because there isn't one. Nozzles are standard Danfoss ones too. Nowt to be scared of

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back