New central heating system replacing backboiler-Cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have an old Baxi bermuda back boiler providing heating & hot water to the house. Upstairs we have a copper water tank.
If we are to replace this system, how much are we talking about? A ball park figure...
Can anyone tell me please?

Thanks

PS. Current boiler works fine, but I think we are losing money on energy & the fire doesnt look nice & not carbon efficient...

Sponsored Links
Keep the existing system.
It will run reliably for years. If you don't like the fire cover
it with a radiator cover.
Any modern boiler you replace it with may be more efficient but will
cost in repairs and never recover the installation cost.
If you want mains pressure hot water replace your copper tank with
unvented cylinder.

Forget carbon efficiency nonsense. China increases it's carbon output every year by more than the UK produces each year. Complete waste of time
trying to reduce UK carbon.

unvented cylinder.

Forget carbon efficiency nonsense. China increases it's carbon output every year by more than the UK produces each year. Complete waste of time

I totally get your point mate. My issue is that I want more room where we have the fire. Covering with a fire cover will takeup more space... Unless I could get rid of part of the front of the unit & then cover it. We cannot use the fire at all (cos the TV is on the wall above).
Yes, come to think of it, not much of a gain from changing....Since I moved in to this house (07 years) it has been working without an issue.
I guess I will wait till it packs up...
Thanks mate...

Sponsored Links
unvented cylinder.

I totally get your point mate. My issue is that I want more room where we have the fire. Covering with a fire cover will takeup more space... Unless I could get rid of part of the front of the unit & then cover it. We cannot use the fire at all (cos the TV is on the wall above).
Yes, come to think of it, not much of a gain from changing....Since I moved in to this house (07 years) it has been working without an issue.
I guess I will wait till it packs up...
Thanks mate...

You'll be old and grey by then or have moved out. My mums has been running 40 years and only required a cheap thermocouple in all that time.
I do suggest a yearly check.

Unless I could get rid of part of the front of the unit & then cover it.

I will say this once, DO NOT REMOVE THE FIRE AND COVER THE CATCHMENT SPACE, I'll say it again just in case DO NOT REMOVE THE FIRE AND COVER THE CATCHMENT SPACE.. It will affect how the back boiler operates and your living room may well fill up with lots of Carbon Monoxide.

Mike

Unless I could get rid of part of the front of the unit & then cover it.

I will say this once, DO NOT REMOVE THE FIRE AND COVER THE CATCHMENT SPACE, I'll say it again just in case DO NOT REMOVE THE FIRE AND COVER THE CATCHMENT SPACE.. It will affect how the back boiler operates and your living room may well fill up with lots of Carbon Monoxide.

Mike

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sure...I wont do that! I am not good at DIY jobs anyway...So I always get someone to do it...BUT defo...will not do this...! thanks mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back