Where in the name of billy-o does that plumb in? (header ta)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Not sure where to start, ok maybe the beginning. I have a house with no central heating, so I went and did a college course, spoke to a few plumbers etc, from that I worked out the size I needed for the radiators, boiler size, oil tank etc etc…

I then shopped about and brought the radiators,pipe, boiler, tank, 3 position valve, benders, pump, thermostat, T’s Joiners etc …

The only thing I forgot was the cold hater header tank that feeds the system when there is water loss?
Where in the name of billy-o does that plumb in?

Logically if it were on the flow it would get water pumped up it!!! Logically if it was on the return water would be sucked in to the system!!!!

I just don’t get it!
:oops:
Cheers

Flange.

Sponsored Links
In the flow from boiler, before the pump ie Boiler, vent pipe, feed pipe (one size down from vent) then pump.

You should have done the plumbing course at college! :rolleyes: ;)

there are a lot of things to take into account -
for example the 150mm distance between the vent/feed connection (for a commonly used close coupled system) and either the t-ee piece of an air separator should be used to join them

the min. of 1 metre from the highest part of the system (usually primary flow to the hot water cylinder) and the f & E cistern water level,

a minimum of 450mm dry head from the water level to where the vent pipe starts to bend over the f & e cistern (to allow for pressure surges created by the pump),

the pump head/pressure - example 5 metre, divided by 3, so just over 1.5 metres should be from the pump to the f & e cistern water level
(again to prevent pump over), not to mention the last tee rule !!

I then shopped about and brought the radiators,pipe, boiler, tank, 3 position valve, benders, pump, thermostat, T’s Joiners etc …
Might help if you said what type of system you was installing - open vent or sealed!

Former needs expansion tank the latter doesn't. And if installing open vent why?

Sponsored Links
Might help if you said what type of system you was installing - open vent or sealed!

Former needs expansion tank the latter doesn't. And if installing open vent why?

Sorry i assumed you would all assume open vented, as its not ?"legal"? to install a non vented yourself....

even with a plum-"b"-ing course!!!! :oops: DOH :oops:

You can install a sealed heating system yourself.

However, if its not done properly then it could be dangerous!

But the same applies to changing your brake pads on your car!

Tony

i think i may run the radiators myself, but then just leave the flow and return near the boiler and get the plum-b-er to sort the rest.. If i can get one, which i cant, which is why i am doing it myself!!!

I called my 3 nearest oftec (oil) installers and none were interested! All said, "too busy", "not worth the hasstle to do a full install" or "only do services, not worth doing installs"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back