Where is the drainage pipe outlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

The land for my house has a fall of around3-4 meters, front to back over about 50 m. Rainwater from the roundabout in front tends to drain onto my land a prior to building, sort of 'flooded' the front garden.

During the build, I installed a sump on the verge and took a underground drainage to the woodland at the rear of the garden. Unfortunately, I did not take photographs. Although buried on my land, the actual outlet was on the surface in the woods so that water could drain out. But 1,2, 3, or 4 meters from my boundary? Beats me?

Nowadays, the water does drain away, and then the flooding starts again. I think the outlet in the woodland has become blocked with leaves, twigs and perhaps 'someone' has made a home there. I would like to find the outlet but uncertain where it is, and it is certainly now covered with brambles, fallen branches, etc.

My question is, what would be the best way to find the outlet without actually clearing everything and digging where I 'think' it may be?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe solid plastic pipe, or is it wavin coil?
Poke about in the ground with a metal bar/garden fork where you think the pipe might be?
Push drain rods down the pipe from the top end?
Or push a garden hose down?

Pour this into your sump pump and put the hose in the pump thus making the pump work. you will soon see the dye in the woods.

Andy

Thanks for the ideas. If memory serves me correctly, it is Wavin coil. Have been considering poking around but certain I will hit stones and not then know when I have found the pipe.

Hose or drain rods; didn't think of the former but don't have access to 50m + of drain rods.

As for the dye, that seems a very good idea. Did not know such a thing existed, thanks.

Sponsored Links
If when water is flowing.....

Bang a metal rod into the ground, where the pipe begins. Connect a resistance meter, between that, and a second probe - you will need 50m of insulated wire. Probe around with the second probe, where you think the exit should be. Lowest resistance will be where your pipe ends.

Using sound might work. A source of sound at the end of the pipe, ( transistor radio for example ) covered with blankets to contain the sound into the pipe.

Then listen for for the sound where you think the end of the pipe might be.,

Sound, interesting thought. Could plug the hose of my wet/dry vac into the pipe and hopefully, the motor would be audible in the woodland.

It did occur to me, perhaps a plumbers smoke bomb in the wet/dry vac with the hose reversed to blow mode. May be the smoke would appear at the woodland end?

Using sound might work. A source of sound at the end of the pipe, ( transistor radio for example ) covered with blankets to contain the sound into the pipe.

Then listen for for the sound where you think the end of the pipe might be.,

That would work, but only if the pipe had an airspace, along its full length.

Another idea, if the OP has access to an air compressor....

Seal an airline end, into the pipe, run the compressor, and you should be able to hear the air emitted, at the far end, to be able to find it.

Don't have a compressor but a leaf blower sounds hopeful. Again, thanks for the various suggestions.

It's a job I need to investigate but scrambling around a tangle of branches and bramble in wet woodland, albeit only a few meters from my fence, does not get my motivation fired up!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back