Where to brace planter made from decking boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I am going to make a planter from decking boards for the rear garden. It's measurements are going to be 500mm wide x 2900mm long and 5 boards tall. A floor for the soil will be created after the third board so the soil will be only two boards deep with decking lights for decoration running around the base. With the planter being nearly 3 meters long I am worried that the soil may force the sides to bow due to the weight so how far along each side would you stick another board at 90 degrees to brace the planter?

Any other hints and tips would be great fully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How thick are the boards? If they're 22mm then one brace at the half-way point should be sufficient.

How thick are the boards? If they're 22mm then one brace at the half-way point should be sufficient.

I have two options, Value boards @ 118 x 19 or Deluxe boards @ 118 x 28. Not quite sure what the difference is to be honest apart from the thickness

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, do you know what the difference may be between the value 19mm and the deluxe 28mm boards. They are from Savoy Timber.

Out of interest, do you know what the difference may be between the value 19mm and the deluxe 28mm boards. They are from Savoy Timber.

I've seen these too and was wondering the same thing, ended up calling them.

Both of them are made from the same timber, however the Value timber is thinner and has a reeded finish on one side, and a smooth finish on the other.
The Deluxe decking is thicker, but has grooves on one side and smooth on the other.

If you're using them for a planter, i'd just go for the Value timber. Personally I don't like the reeded finish as I think it looks crap, so i'd just opt for the value stuff and use the smooth side.

I'm actually planning decking myself, so will opt for the deluxe timber and use the smooth side.

Wood decking will go green and slimy, mark my words!
I've lived with grooved decking in the UK for years. It only goes slimey because water builds up and then algae grows.

Keep it preserved and clean and you'll never have a problem. The decking that is out there now is rotten, but was installed by previous owners. It was slippy but it's had a wash and is Brown and not slippy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back