Help with how many deck boards I need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am going to be making a deck but am having trouble calculating how many boards I need my dimensions are 50 square metres the boards I will be using are 4.8 metres long by 140mm wide any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you gonna do random length boards (ie use up all the offcuts) or only use single lengths where possible? If you get my gist.

Sponsored Links
About 72 boards + say 5% for wastage/returns etc. That said it also depends on the shape and actual dimensions, if it were curved for instance there would be more wastage, if the centres of the fixings was not in keeping with the length of the boards wastage may be greater too. You may think that using leftover lengths of 400mm (or whatever depending on your joist centres) was not attractive again causing more wastage.

When I've done decking in the past I've planned every single joint and board length a kind of organized random to minimize wastage.

Better to over order on the basis you can return some if need be, merchants have an annoying habit of changing suppliers at the precise moment you discover you're 1 board short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back