Deck Frame : Posts and Noiggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im in the process of building a large-ish multi level deck and need some help confirming my plans for the framework.

To be specific its a quesion of having enough support for the frame via posts (legs) and noggins. I have attached an image of the plan and the mock up of the final deck, how am I looking?

I am using 6 x 2 for all the joist work and plan on 400mm (can I get away with 450mm?) centres between joists. I intend to float the whole thing on legs as I am decking over a large concrete area where two garages used to be. This concrete area is mulitlevel already and am essentially using it as a base for the raised areas, nothing will be greater than 10cm off the ground. The deck boards will be 140mm x 40mm cedar.

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• DeckJoists.jpg
    DeckJoists.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 168
  • mockUp.jpg
    mockUp.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
Looks good to me - would say more legs though . Cut them to aprox. length and soak the bottom ends that will be on the concrete in wood preserver for days, then put a small piece of plastic damp course under each one onto concrete. You can't overdo the number of legs . as to noggins put them @ the bottom of the joists because your decking will hold the top of the joists. 400 spacing is good for strength- but make sure you're not too tight to get your powerdriver and screws in between when youre fixing the frame . Then coat the lot with a good solvent based waxy type wood stain . You might need special screws for the cedar decking maybe stainless- not sure. perhaps ask in the woodwork forum . That's the way I did my decking frame - then I covered it with plastic "wood" decking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back