Some decking questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to construct a fairly large area of decking in my back garden (approx 25sqm) however it is something ive never done before.
Im planning on using 125mm x 47mm C24 for the frame and joints. The decking will be an L shape. Its two longest edges that run perpendicular to each other will be 6m long each.

Just a quick question
At its highest (the end at the top of the fall), the deck with only be around 75mm above the dirt, given that the decking will be 6m long, at the bottom of the fall it will only be 15mm above the dirt. Is concreting a couple of posts on every joist really necessary? Could I not rest the joist posts on slabs? The frame posts will be concreted in so it wont move, its just do dissipate the load I assume.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, and to what extent they settle or not will depend on the type of soil, size of slab and load on each slab

Design is important to avoid having to walk along the deck which is most slippery when wet .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back