decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother said met posts are good for deck support. Most of the area of a 6 x 2.2m deck i want to make is over existing 900 x 600 x 50mm concrete paving slabs. I'm struggling to imagine how to do this - should i remove the slabs?
Its against the house and deck Boards will run the 6m way.
overall height above ground about 375mm and no rails needed as forming a step round open side
Would anyone comment on my two ideas or propose a better one:
1. To support the 145 x 45 timber frame i propose to use - on metposts (about 30+ met posts i think - an awful lot) or
2. support the frame on 2 or 3 long joists under the above frame which would rest on fewer and more spaced apart metposts, may be 3 per 6m long joist.
Any tips would be gratefully recieved. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the patio is good just rest some bearers on that, running with the fall if there is one. Then fix your joists to the bearers. No need to fix decks down when sat on a patio, gravity will hold it down.

metposts may or may not work suspect they wont
remember a metpost is designed to stop a fence moving sideways in the soil and no really designed to take downward loading to any extent

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips just recieved. That's a relief to have advice I can trust and saves a load of money on metposts. This is just my 4th question to DIYnot and again has been a brilliant result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back