Fence/decking posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an area of decking which will be 4.8 metre square. I am putting in 147x50mm joists supported by a post every 1.2 metres. The posts are 100x100mm.

To what depth and width should I dig the holes for the posts? I have tried searching but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Rule of thumb,about a third of the total length of the post should be underground. So for a 2 metre post above ground, a 3 metre post should be buried about 1 metre.

You can get away with less if concreted in.

Thank you very much - what about the width of the holes if I am using 100mmx100mm posts?

You dont really want the hole much wider than the post, 'cos the soil is probably already nicely compacted, so say 150 - 200mm should be OK.

Sponsored Links
If you can make a concrete or brick plinth, and put the wooden legs on that, they will not rot so quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back