Advice for building raised decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have at the bottom of my garden a lowered decking platform that runs the full length across of the garden and is parallel to a stream the otherside. This platform is about a metre lower than the garden & has steps down to it. What im planning to do is raise half of this decking up to the current height of the garden (so will be around a metre from the current decking).

I am after some advice as to what sort of joists/suport posts will need to be used for this sort of project. The size of the decking will be around 3x2m.

The surround for my current decking is made up of railway sleepers stacked on top of each other so I was planning to use these as the support for 2 sides of the raised decking and then will just need 2 joists to make up the square, the internal supports (bearers) and a post to support it all in the other corner (or maybe more than one?). The ground this post will be going into is right next to a stream so it will need to be something strong & secure!

Do I need special or bigger joists/bearers for this sort of thing or is the normal stuff suitable?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From what you’ve said, I believe you should be OK but be aware that decking is now subject to Planning Permission unless you observe certain criteria, see here;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking/

Decking in multi-level gardens has also come up before & there seems to be some difference in interpretation by LA’s; it might pay you to check with yours before you start.

It doesnt need planning permission as the ground currently is lower so im just raising it up to the current ground level so will be fine.

Any advice as to actually building it & the types of wood required as per original post?

Thanks

Ok so after getting some advice I think i'm going to use 6x2 treated wood for the bearers for the decking, supported by 100x100mmm posts.

what would be the best method for building the decking, - can/should I make the frame out of the 6x2 bearers with the joists screwed INTO THIS AT THE SAME LEVEL, and then lay the deck boards straight on top, or should I make the frame from the 6x2 bearers, and then lay joists ON TOP OF THIS, and then fit the deck boards on top of these?

obviously the latter i'm assuming would be stronger but is more work & uses more wood so I just wanted to find out what would be the best/preferred method?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Joists go into the frame so everything is flush (like a stud wall laid flat), then decking on top.
Depending on length you may need to put some noggins in for extra strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back