Where to buy good "bits" for sash window refurbish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

this weekend we plan to start on refurbishing sash window #1 (out of 5). We're planning to take the sashes out of the boxes, replace the existing and missing sash cords, maybe get away with the existing weights, replace some broken panes, do some painting and hopefully put it all back together again afterwards! And if it all goes tits up we have a lovely carpenter who I can phone :)

Anyway, we have some sash cord as well as a glass supplier, but where do I buy:

-new pullies (I fancy some new brass ones - the existing ones look a bit manky)

-new brass sash pulls

-"things" for replacing the glass such as that putty stuff.

Can anyone give me a heads up on where to find these things? TBH I haven't actually looked yet for the putty and glazing springs and figure I should find them at the builder's merchant down the road).

If anyone has a suggestion of a supplier (preferably online with a speedy delivery time!) the I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thank you foxhole.

The sash pulleys on those two sites look well cheap (in a good way!). So I guess I'm overthinking this ... are they all much of a muchness and I might as well just get whatever?

Thank you AEC1, I've just had a look on there and it does seem like a one-stop-shop for everything I need. And they have next day delivery! I'd also forgotton that I wanted some draught proofing type stuff and they seem to have some very good ideas there too.

Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
I Highly recommend the sof seal :) Good luck! There customer service is excellent if you get stuck give them a call.

I was looking at their weatherstripping/weatherpile thing. The main reason we're doing this is to stop them rattling and to reduce the noise from the street, so maybe the sofseal would be better for that.

For anyone who's interested: I emailed them and they suggested that sofseal would be better for noise reduction and to stop rattling. So thanks again for the idea to look into that!

They've also suggested self adheisive flexislide for the meeting rails (as I'm too much of a wimp to use a router).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back