refurbishing a fairly unusual oriel window & some sashes

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by doogyscoot, 25 Jan 2015.

1. doogyscoot

doogyscoot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi folks, I'm posting a few questions in different sections about a house we are thinking of buying. One of the issues is that it has sash Windows and an unusual oriel window. I was hoping someone could possibly give me an indication of how much it would cost to refurbish both the oriel and the sashes?
    most sashes are reasonably ok, a few sills need replaced and there are some localised rotten sections but they are all free and the mechanism seems ok.
    The oriel has panes set into lead work, one of the small panes is cracked and the frame (from inside) looked to have various rotten sections of timber. I know no-one could give a definitive cost, just looking for a ballpark and if possible any recommended firms near glasgow/stirling?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You should be able to do the sashes yourself. Parts are readily available

4. ree

ree

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No Oriel bays are present, merely Dormers.

Which glazings are set into lead - the four section Dormer and/or the glass cheeks of the rear Dormer?

5. doogyscoot

doogyscoot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Ree,

Sorry, I didn't put up a very good picture to show the oriel (at least I thought that was the correct term). The four sections of glazing in the bay all appear to be set into lead, or at least metal and I'm confident it wasn't steel. One of the 24 small panes is cracked, the rest are ok. The wooden frame it is fitted into feels rotten in places though. The glass cheeks of the dormer are all set into wooden frames, although i think most of these are rotten to some degree or another and would need repaired/replaced.

6. ree

ree

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The new pic shows an Oriel bay.

I think that you will find on attempting any repairs that probably all the Dormers and this Oriel will need re-building.
    eg. the wet rotting Oriel sill has opened at the mitres, and is allowing water behind the render on the front apron of the bay.

Lead glazing bars are known as "cames" and are v. distinctive - you dont appear to have lead cames.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. doogyscoot

doogyscoot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your response, good to know. I guess I'll need to do a little more investigating.

9. Gazman16

Gazman16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Assuming its not listed or conservation area its probably going to be cheaper to replace with PVC windows judging by the state of some of them.

PVC vertical sliders have come right down in price in the last few years and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference if they are well fitted, Except for being clean and new.

Depending on the area/company you can get PVC sliders fitted for around £500-600 each and bays around £1000-1500.

If you do decide to repair you could just replace the sash's themselves with new double glazed ones. This guy is good http://www.supasash.com/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. doogyscoot

doogyscoot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

11. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could look at timber double glazing. Conservation area or not, UPVC always looks horrible, sooner or later.

Cheers
    Richard

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local