where to fit an automatic air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to fit an automatic air vent to my central heating system as it does not have one at the high point. I've seen loads of products that look like a small bottle that screws into the system. I've read on one product installation guide that it cannot remove air from the system, when circulating, if mounted directly into a pipe. The diagram shows a chamber that the automatic air vent should be mounted above but I do not know the name of this. I would really appreciate some help in answering..

a) What is this chamber piece called?

b) Should I use this chamber peice or just mount the automatic air vent to a pipe at the highest point?

c) What is a known, good automatic air vent to install?

d) Can I mount this automatic air vent, at the highest point, which happens to be BEFORE a combined vent & cold water feed pipe? or does it have to be after the vent?

Many thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need an AAV on an open vented system!

What is the problem your having?

Hi

I am having problem with air being sucked down into the system through the Vent pipe. I've been told to change the system to have a combined vent & cold water fill pipe, which sound like it will solve my problems. I live in a bungalow so my cold water fill tank is only 50cm above the boiler.

Whist I'm changing the pipes around and the system drained I thought I'd add this into help remove any surplus air. Am I wasting my time then?

Thanks

Rob

Have you tried changing the pump speed to a lower setting?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes I had the pump speed set to low and the cold fill pipe was free flowing as it new. but thanks for the tip. Should I not bother fitting an automatic air vent and just change the pipes?

Rob

Fitting an auto-vent will NOT fix problems caused by air getting drawn into the system! The key problem is NOT air collecting in rads; it's oxygen dissolving in the water. Oxygen in water causes rust, especially in radiators. If you leave it like that, your rads will rust out and leak in MONTHS. Get someone in who knows what they're doing!

Most open vent boilers need a minimum of 1m form the highest point in the system to the bottom of the f&e tank.

yeah but, no but, the old glo worms had a diagram of a low-head pipe configuration ;) anyone remember them :LOL:

Gentlemen

I appreciate the comments and tips but I've just been on the Worcester bosh 30CDI boiler instruction web page and it shows a Automatic air vent at the highest point, in an open vented system.

I do plan to change the vent pipe to a combined Vent and cold water fill, to remedy the sucking air in problem, but I would appreciate if you could cast your eyes on the earlier question I posted relating to Automatic air vent. It looks like ones got to go in and I just need some guidance on the fitting

Thanks

Rob

If you're not prepared to listen to the advice you are being given why bother to post?

The diagram you are referring to is a schematic and the Worcester bosch 30CDI boiler has the auto air vent within the unit ... Are you sure you should be dealing with this ... Call a pro ;)

Can you please look at the first post I made where I asked specific questions about fitting a Automatic Air Vent

Oooh, you are a ONE!

Actually, you're an idiot for ignoring the advice you've been given.

I really don't CARE whether you (personally) want to (probably) waste your time and money fitting an auto air vent to your system -anywhere in the pipework where there is positive pressure while the pump is running will probably do.

The design of your system sounds iffy (you say you've already been advised about that) and if air continues to be drawn down the vent you WILL have continuing problems, whether or not you fit an AAV.

If you correct the design problem (possibly by changing the pipework to combined-vent-and-feed) you SHOULD find that the air problem goes away and you don't need the AAV anyway.

Fitting the AAV now would be like repainting your window frames (with heat resistant paint) while the house is on fire!

Thanks again for the tip.

I suppose the answer that we finally came to was ....

1) You don't need to fit an automatic air vent, whilst changing your pipes around as this air intake problem will be resolved by the combined vent & cold intake pipe!

The idea of this forum is to share ideas and advice. Asking questions is what it is for. If you have a pig headed view and only want to be rude and give one answer then I guess you should not offer any tips or advice.

If Worcester Bosh say that my system should have an automatic air vent fitted in an open vented system then I'm not an idiot for double checking when someone posts

"You shouldn't need an AAV on an open vented system! "

Thanks again for this interesting chat. Next time I'll ask a brick wall!

I think you'll find that in general on internet advice forums you only get advice once. If you ask the same question twice, you're just wasting bandwidth, and people will react accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back