Where to nail shingles on to summerhouse roof?!?! Maybe made a boo-boo!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just finished building a summerhouse and I started putting the "shingles" on the roof.

Before the shingles I fixed this waterproof underlay to the roof (http://www.screwfix.com/p/protect-a1-roofing-underlay-1-x-45m/31795)

I started adding the shingles but suddenly had a thought that the black rectangles on the shingles are maybe supposed to be above the felt tacks to stop water getting to them??

Or then I wondered if the felt tacks are actually meant to be nailed through the black rectangles so that the gluey stuff waterproofs them?

Now I'm panicking that I've wrecked the roof of my summerhouse and want some advice before I carry on as to how I should be doing it and whether I've knackered the roof? (I added the bit about the waterproof underlay as I'm hoping that would at least help keep the rain out if I've made a mistake with my shingles).

Here's how I *was* doing it....

IMG_9352.JPG

And this is how I changed it.....?

IMG_9353.JPG

A big thanks for any help / advice you can give me.

I've stopped the job now and covered the whole thing with a tarp to keep the rain out.

Thanks again

John :)

Sponsored Links
Never done it, but for what it's worth I think you were right first time, perhaps the oblongs are to lift the shingle very slightly in the middle to encourage water to run off better.
Think about it though, when you fit a basic felt roof you nail through and leave the heads exposed and they don't leak through every nail.:)

Thanks footprints. Really hope you're right mate. Hopefully get an expert opinion from someone who's done shingles before.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. Looking at some of those videos I think I'll get away with it. I'll stick some sealant under the edge ones as one of the videos suggests. Thanks again :)

HI
The rectangle gluey stuff you talk about, is an area of bitumen, the ideal is on a warm day this will melt onto the tile which is over lapping it.You are, in the first picture nailing them correctly.

Thanks for the help Kev. Good to know. Hopefully nice weather tomorrow so going to crack on with it. Cheers :)

Sorry, but I'm sure it's the second method. Each shingle is meant to be secured twice, ie the nails go through two at a time. That won't happen if the nail is above the top edge of the shingle underneath.

Thanks for all the help on this.

I ended up using the second method for the rest of the roof (as mfarrow says - it means the nail goes through both shingles so I thought it would help make it more secure). I didn't bother 're-doing' the ones that I had done as I'm sure that they'll be fine. These shingles are quite heavy duty so I don't think they'll be going anywhere (touch wood) but will keep an eye on it when winter kicks in and it gets windier.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice on this.

Here's a pic of the roof just after I completed it.

IMG_9360.JPG

IMG_9361.JPG

Thanks, as always, for all the help.... now on to the next job..... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back