Roof options for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,
Building a 7.3 long x 4m wide shed(or er..youth club!) in my garden and want to know best options for roof construction other than fink trusses?

There is 1.3m porch on the front along the length (7.3m side) so I want the roof to extend over this. So, total roof will span 5.3m. The ridge will be 2m in from one side, 3.3 from the other to remain in the middle of the room.

I've just received a quote for £650+ Vat for 13 pre made asymmetric fink trusses from my local wood merchants (they did the loading calculations etc.) which seems reasonable. This seems the obvious route BUT...

My ceiling height is 2.2m, which is just enough, but can't help thinking I could make the roof a lot more 'airy' and aesthetic inside rather than some rough old fink trusses blocking the view.

Maybe larger purlins like the log cabin kits etc. where the roof is totally free from beams - is the length/span too much? Alternatively a couple of big beams across might do the job? How can I get this worked out economically (it is after all a shed!). Roof covering will be 18mm OSB3, vapour barrier and then felt shingle.

For reference wall construction is timber stud 100x50 with OSB outside, ply inside (rockwool between studs). Floor is concrete pads with blocks, 150x50 frame on top of DPC strips. 18mm OSB floor.

Any guidance much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back