Workshop Roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently building a workshop at the end of my garden. The frame size will be 5.8m x 2.6m when complete. The tops of the wallboards are all nice and level - now comes the snag.

I am hoping to build dual pitch roof with gable ends. Ideally the apex should be offset ( for aesthetic reasons) so that from the front you can see a smaller section of roof with the larger trailing away to the rear.

I would like to use felt shingles to cover it with. Roofing info is a bit hard to find on the net.
I was planning on building 5 simple triangular roof truss' with one vertical support on each, those can sit on the wallboards and would be tied together with a ridge board. Whole thing covered in OSB/felt underlay/shingles.

Question is - is this design suitable for the span of the roof? Does the ridgeboard have to be one continuous piece? If so practically how do I support the ridgeboard whilst constructing the trusses?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes it is feasible.

The longer shallower span may need stronger section timbers than the shorter steeper one.

You may also create an overhang anomaly due to the differing pitches. This anomaly will be largely aesthetic rather than structural.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back