Where to put our curtain tracking? Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My wife and I have bought a 1930s house and we are decorating the bedroom. It has a bay window which is upvc and the top of the frame meets the ceiling of the alcove part where the bay window is if that makes sense. I want to put the curtain tracking up but don't know where to fix it. There is no wall above the window so can't fix it there and the ceiling hasn't really got any good fixing points. I was thinking about fixing it to the window frame. I have 5 separate sections of the bay window so was gonna put one bracket to hold the tracking in each frame. Do you think that will be ok? Hope that all makes sense.

Sponsored Links
personally I would never drill or fix anything into a plastic window frame.
they are simply not designed for it.

and in the worst case situation, it can make your windows leak.

the best thing to do its to find a good place in the ceiling part of the alcove.

you may need some special brackets to hang it from the ceiling.

if your having difficulty getting a good fix in the ceil try screwing a wooden track around the curve of the window.

Depending on how competent and how far you want to go (if you don't have roof under-felt + you are willing to go the extra mile.

Remove the roof tiles from above the alcove which will give you access to the ceiling of the alcove and add extra battens + you could add a little insulation in there while your at it.

May seem a little extreme but it very quick, easy, provides a very strong fixing + makes your bedroom a little warmer (I should know, its what I did).

Other than that you will need some good fixings. maybe
http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-metal-35mm-self-drill-pack-of-100/47347

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back