Where's my slow leak?

Sponsored Links
Yes, Top the pressure up and check each valve by running a finger around the nuts, the shaft under the cap is the most likely.

When the system is cold.

OK. I'll try that.

We are in a new build house, so someone should come and fix it, but going on past experience they just go for the quickest and cheapest fix.

I want to know what the problem is before I get someone in if you see what I mean.

Ok, follow on question I guess. Can the system reach a low pressure and then stop leaking? I mean, I've lived here over a year and the pressure has never got to zero and the boiler has always worked.

Sponsored Links
top up system to 1.5 bar and see if that helps find the leak. Also check pressure release valve is not letting by (ballon over end of pipe to catch anything might be good). If nothing obvious then I would be isolating each rad in turn for a day making sure both ends are shut right down. This might mean removing TRV heads and using the supplied decorators heads to isolate properly.

So the guy from the house building company came today. He upped the pressure to 1.5 and checked for leaks. Nothing obvious. Took the front off the boiler. Nothing there either. Suspected an issue with the expansion vessel but did not have pump with him to check so is going to come by at a later date. I'll just keep my eye on it until then.

It will only be an issue with expansion vessel if duff or under pressure, both he could of checked quite easily.

Does the system pressure rise a lot when on and hot?

If the expansion vessel is at fault, the system pressure will rise to around 3 bar, the PRV will open and dump your water/pressure outside. (Pipe dripping) this will be where your pressure is going.........does it?

As an update, the pressure stayed at 1.5 when cold and rose to just under 1.6 when hot, so hardly any change. However, today the cold pressure has dropped to 1.4. This makes no sense whatsoever to me, why would it hold for so long and then drop?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back