Where's the Lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering swapping a doorway and window (reusing the existing door), the current window opening is the same height but slightly narrower than the doorway opening but I assume they will have used the same standard size lintel for both.

I want to investigate by removing some mortar, but can anyone suggest where the lintel may be on the external face? Will the soldier bricks be purely for show with the lintel above or below or will they be structural? The plans for the property say "Birtley Lintel over all window and external door openings".

Thanks

View media item 59440 View media item 59441

Sponsored Links
There will probably be a lintel supporting the brickwork set back from the edge and hidden by the window frame. It's rare these days for brick arches to be self supporting.

Catnic and other metal lintel manufacturers make specials to pretty much any arch or curve shape.

Thanks, so the lintel should be below the arch with some packing mortar between it and the arch which is hidden by the pvc capping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back