Which armoured cable???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys,
so im looking to put electrics from house consumer unit to a garage . I want to get all the stuff i need and to run in the armoured cable ready for an electrician to hook up. My question is what armoured cable should i get? It need to run about 15m give or take, i will only be powering a couple of plugs, lighting and maybe a garage heater. Any advise much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
. I want to get all the stuff i need and to run in the armoured cable ready for an electrician to hook up.
That's not how it works.
If you want to do this yourself, then buy the materials and install yourself.
If not, get the electrician to supply and install.

Sponsored Links
So to explain the situation im in the process of having driveway done where the cable needs to run. But funds a little tight to get the garage electrics done at the same time. So rather than ripping up a freshly laid driveway when i come to have electrics done. I was going to bury the cable. The correct way. Sand, tape etc and take evidence pics for the electrician. All the stuff i meant was just cable and glands to connect into the consumer box to keep box water tight. Dont see why this would be a problem if customer would wanna get there parts for me to fit as a mechanic id be more than happy to

You could probably dig the trench to the required depth, put a strong draw cord through, lay the tapes on top of the ducting, half-fill the trench and lay another layer of tape, seal off the ends of the ducting to prevent water ingress, then continue to fill trench and clearly mark where they are. Taking pictures at every stage and clearly showing the depth of the trench is correct so the electrician can see exactly what you have done.
However, you should really speak to your electrician first before you do this, so he can say yes or no to your plan. If he says no, then you could ask him to do this before the driveway is done, but he will probably want paying for this in full, and then a down payment to complete the rest of the work when it is ready to be done. He's not going to dig a trench for free so someone else can come along and finish the job after all that grafting. Be warned though, the longer you leave it to get the job finished by the electrician, the price may rise substantially than if you have it done all in one hit.
The key is, speak to your electrician before doing anything!

Probably wouldn't even need a draw cord; putting 15m of armoured cable through a buried small duct can be done with a push nearly as easily as a pull

Probably wouldn't even need a draw cord; putting 15m of armoured cable through a buried small duct can be done with a push nearly as easily as a pull
Always use a draw cord for future proofing. Also helps if one pushes and a mate pulls. Can prevent the end of the cable sheath catching on a 'lip' inside the ducting. So many reasons to use one and very few not to.

Don't disagree, and I've blown draw cords through after the fact when needed, but genuinely a small, continuous smooth duct such as the 75mm twinwall used in ventilation systems or even some MDPE water pipe of that length ain't gonna need a draw cord; the SWA will push through (and might well be an easy way to take a draw cord through too :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back