Which Baxi boiler (and recomended plastic fittings?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My second question this evening. Now I've worked out my heating requirements for our new house (allthough the house itself certainly isn't new). Is which boiler? I used a Baxi boiler in the last house, did the heating with copper and a local plumber (corgi reg.) connected the gas at the end and did a final check on my handywork. Job done.
Baxi seem to have two combi-boilers out at present that would suit my needs. The Platinum Combi and Duo-Tec Combi, but apart from one being more compact that the other I can't see the difference? Anyone know something I don't?

Once I've worked out which one, I shall procure said boiler from screwfix (unless a plumber local to Hertford feels they can offer one cheaper) and mount it in a bedroom we're converting into a bathroom. Plan was to box it into an aircupboard. Do I need to be aware of any regulatory requirements for the fused outlet?

Final query, I used copper last time, and intend to use some this time (near the boiler etc) But would like to use plastic and push-fit for the flexabilty and speed. I know there is a ongoing discussion on this, but if I do go for plastic, is there a make or type of pipe experts would recomend for central heating and DHW? Ideally one with some flex in it so it can go round corners? Also, What make/type of fittings should I use with them? I was going to use copper to come down from the rads so it looks smart in the rooms and then plastic under the floors and round the bends etc. So something that joins everything securely would be ideal.

Once again, hope someone can advise as it's the people who use these things day in, day out or have done similar DIY projects, I would really trust the advice of. (Just don't talk me out of it, I'm looking forward to it to much :) )

Thanks, Martin

Sponsored Links
Firstly I wouldn't fit Baxi :eek:

Secondly the screw fix prices are way over the top :LOL:

Which exact boiler are you looking at?

Thanks Dave, I'm sure everyone has an opinion on which make is best. The plumber who got me the parts last time swore by Baxi and it didn't let me down in the time I was at the last place.
Was looking at the Baxi Boiler 105 HE on Screwfix, but I've raised the question as they seem to do two combi boilers with the same features/output but differnt model names, and wondered if anyone knew the difference?
Any thoughts on my query regarding the plastic pipe and fittings and on the boiler in the bathroom?

Cheers

Martin

Sponsored Links
you mentioned electric in bathroom need to make sure it cannot be reached with wet hands from a bath or such check iee regulations on zones. duel tec cheaper than platinum . both band a platinum alledegly better boiler than duotec 5 year gaurantee platinum 2 year duel tec follow baxis site to specification all will be revealed

by the way you should use 1.5 meters of copper from boiler but your engineer who fits the boiler flue and gas pipe should know this

if you do use plastic use inserts and fittings of the same brand as pipe ie.hep 2o or speed fit ,do not mix if you develop a problem they will each in turn blame the other

Thanks for the advice, all noted and appreciated. Will check out the zones, and look at the fitting you recomended. Cheers!

Just one quick thought, now I've more or less settled on a boiler with 2 year warranty

Baxi Boiler 105 HE
Screfix price - £704.99

or

Baxi Duo-tec Combi Boiler 28 HE
£827.99

Anyone know anywhere considerably cheaper (for non-trade) ? Or does anyone in the trade want to sell me one direct if your local to Hertford?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back