which boiler for a new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are just building a 4 bed detached with 2 bathrooms, 1 ensuite, 9 radiators & 4 towel rads. We are looking at either the viessmann vitoden 333 although not sure it can do the job or the glow worm ultrapower sxi 170 or the potterton powermax he150. We fancy to have a combi rather than indirect even though we will have 2 power showers in the bathrooms. Does anybody have any fors or against or can they recommend one of the above or another.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
The Viessman 333 will give a flow rate of almost 20 litres per minute @ 35 deg temp rise! Equivalent to a 240 litre storage!

Fitted with a weather compensator they are excellent!

Supplied tundish is B*ll*cks though!!

I cant comment on the others as I have not fitted them!!!

Well I wouldn't go for either of the other two, that's for sure.

The Vaillant 937 and Worcester Highflow 440 both offer a similar performance to the Viessmann, which is now offered as a 343 with solar hookup, incidentally.

Another one you could look at - and which we haven't fitted yet - is the ACV Heatmaster 35. I am intrigued by this thing, it fully condenses on hot water, has built in weather comp, and a stonking flow rate. More like 30 litres a min.

It also works nothing like a combi, although they call it one, presumably to avoid confusion.

It has no diverter valve, it is a bit like the result of a heatstore and combi having a baby.

If they could fit an immersion heater back up to it, I reckon it would fly out of the door!

Sponsored Links
I prefer to fit tried and tested appliances and not use my own customers for "Field Testing"at their own expense!!
Far too many appliances are unleashed on the unsuspecting public without adequate reliability trials!!
Many installers will choose an appliance on price alone as they have no intention of ever returning to the property after the installation !!

I would go for the 937 or WB 440, but no combi or unvented cylinder can have a power shower fitted to it :rolleyes:

Bigger models Worcester and vaillant are tried and tested, both are top quality. Worcester is considered a bit better with after sales

prefer to fit tried and tested appliances and not use my own customers for "Field Testing"at their own expense!!

I see your point and you may not have noticed I made a point saying we had not yet fitted one.

We have been fitting Kidd condensing boilers for the reason you give, as we can show units that have been running reliably for 25+ yrs.

If you are talking about Vaillant and Worcester, the 937 was launched this year and the Highflow Greenstar is about 3 yrs old. Both use substantially different components than their forebears, the AquaPLUS and Highflow 400 respectively.

My point is that with a few exceptions, we are all fitting boilers that have only been around a few years at best and in the case of the 937 a few months. We are relying on our confidence in the manufacturer and their track record more than the product itself.

The ACV Heatmaster 35 has been sold in Europe for over 3 years and the company has been making tank in tank solutions for decades. It is a combi with no valves, no flow switch and will work on vented primaries and non mains pressure water. I'd prefer not to write it off just yet. :LOL:

FWIW ...

3 years ago, we (My wife and I + 3 kids) moved into a new 5 bed house (1650 sq. ft. with ensuite, family bath & extra shower room) and Wimpey had installed a PowerMax HE150. It's never missed a beat and my gas bill is ~£31.50 pcm (scottish power).

We are very happy with it and would recommend it. My neighbours' identical boiler broke the other day, he called the Baxi Heateam out, it cost £300 but included all parts, a service, and the entire boiler now has 1 years warranty (think of it as a 1year service contract). It was the grundfos circulating pump that had packed in.

I am sure your post is made with the best of intentions but those of us who see lots of boilers tend to have a different view of the PowerMax.

If we had fitted the boiler (not the Powermax) your neighbour would still have 2 yrs warranty left and been £300 up.

Not that we could afford Wimpey rates :LOL:

viessmann is the hands down winner. Top notch boiler but make sure you fit the weather comp as this can save you even more on your fuel bill once setup correctly. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back