New boiler help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we currently have a
Ferroli Optimax HE Plus 38 C which came with our house 9 years ago. It’s been repaired multiple times and now needs replacing as it’s just so unreliable.

We have a 3 bed new build home with 1 bathroom 10 radiators. We have a downstairs toilet and an upstairs bathroom.

Having looked at the manual I believe the Ferroli was 30kw but we have been told by two separate independent tradesman that we need a 35kw which I don’t understand why. The brands I have been told about are
Glow worm and viessmann with a 7 year guarantee at a cost of £1500 including fitting. Can somebody please give me advice on which boiler make and model you would recommend for my home. We are a family of 4 two adults two children.

Sponsored Links
The clue is in the model...38Kw power for hot water production...if you pick a new boiler with less power you may be dissapointed when running baths etc.
There's a million posts asking what boiler?
Personaly I'd wouldn't touch Viessmann...any issues with the warranty and their parts are extortionate and few will want to look at them.

That's inaccurate. It's 30.2 to heating but 37.7kW for hot water production. As GG has suggested, any reduction in power below 38kW may leave you disappointed when it comes to hot water production. Sorry to say though that you're going to need deeper pockets than £1500 if you want the same power again (although £1500 supplied and fitted is a very low price for all but the cheapest boilers to be installed anyway - likely to be launched in with no fux given for that price). Remember quality of install is almost as important as quality of boiler. The best boiler in the world will break down a lot if badly installed. Buy cheap, buy twice

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't touch that with a bargepole TBH, it's a cheaply-made boiler in an expensive casing, as are most of that make. Also, without paying lots more money for their own very expensive controls, it won't be any more efficient or save any more money on energy bills than your current boiler. If you're looking for energy savings, an OpenTherm boiler coupled to an OpenTherm controller will give you some savings for a sensible outlay. I recommend Intergas - look at the ECO RF 36 or Xclusive 36, both very well made boilers with 10 year warranties and full OpenTherm compatibility

@tazuk123 seems to have been sold on choice already, based on lowest spend possible, and just wants confirmation from us that he is correct!

Tell me I'm wrong :rolleyes:

I’m reading good reviews about the
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/boilers/directory/greenstar-cdi-compact It’s such a big investment but it could save a lot on energy bills.
Good boiler IMO, goes up to 36kw so similar performance to what you have now. can get an 8 year guarantee if fitted with a filter, fit Worcester controls and they're covered for the length of the guarantee which you won't get if you fit third party controls. Worcester also have a no quibble approach to their guarantee, they won't try and wriggle out of it 6 years in if something goes wrong (as long as it's serviced)

If you can afford it have a look at the 8000 range though

@tazuk123 seems to have been sold on choice already, based on lowest spend possible, and just wants confirmation from us that he is correct!

Tell me I'm wrong :rolleyes:
You’re wrong, also lowest spend possible I don’t think so. Google it and it has over 22k reviews averaging 4.4 out of 5 and it’s the best of the 3 options https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/boilers/directory/greenstar-cdi-compact give me when I put my home details and size on their website.

Last edited:
Good boiler IMO, goes up to 36kw so similar performance to what you have now. can get an 8 year guarantee if fitted with a filter, fit Worcester controls and they're covered for the length of the guarantee which you won't get if you fit third party controls. Worcester also have a no quibble approach to their guarantee, they won't try and wriggle out of it 6 years in if something goes wrong (as long as it's serviced)

If you can afford it have a look at the 8000 range though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back