Combi boiler to be installed - opinion please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a boiler installed to replace my old Glow Worm 52B which must be 20 years old by now. The installer who is quoting for it has suggested a Ferroli P30 which is around 103,000 BTUs (30kW). Can anyone give me their opinion of this boiler?

Also, he says I need to mount it on a double skinned wall so my garage wall which is only single skin breeze block is not enough. Is this right or is there any way around this?

Sponsored Links
good luck,yes it can be fitted on a single skin brick/block :rolleyes:

Must say I find the ferroli ok, naff all in the way of after sales care but ok nonetheless

Sponsored Links
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
You didn't fancy a decent boiler then ;)
I do, but I'm not in the position of knowing what's good and what isn't. From what you say, I guess you don't think much of them. Could I ask why?

They are a good solid boiler, and do what they say on the tin

but getting a ferroli approved engineer is nigh on impossible, I find (and everyone else please feel free tocontradict me) getting spares for them a bit of a chore.

But this is down the line a bit for you to worry about, my advice is to stick to the big manufacturers

Ideal
baxi
GloWorm
Vaillant

least nearly all engineers can work on them and spares are ten a penny

cost of spares,reliability,lifespan.when it breaks down[which it will]try and get someone to repair correctly.here are common faults of the f30 pressure gauge does not register,venturi fails,o rings left hand side leak, fan fails,these are just a few things to keep you going,you pay peanuts you get a ferrolli :rolleyes:

OK, thanks for the opinions :) I haven't had my quote back from this guy yet but he seems decent so I can always ask him if he'll fit something else for me like a Worcester and I'll source the thing if he wants. I get the impression that while the Ferroli is an "OK" boiler, it's the "cheaper option". How much cheaper is it than the equivalent (say) Worcester, or one that one of you guys would recommend?

Lastly, assuming I'd source the boiler myself from PlumbWorld, what boiler *would* you recommend as an alternative to the Ferroli? I was thinking a GlowWorm or Worcester...

I actually would suggest the Ferroli, no diverter valve to fail, never had a prob sourcing parts.

When i think cheap i think Ariston!!

When i think expensive i think Worcester!!

Another £250 on top of that Ferroli will get you an equivalent Worcester, although they are good.

Thats true Reg but do you agree that ferroli's afetr sale is awful?? if not where do you get your spares from?

I fit Worcesters and have good results with Worcester when on the very very few occasions I have had to get them to come out under warranty.

I dont really like Worchester, no rational reason just dont like them

I like Ideal, good solid boilers and STILL made in BRITAIN, which goes a long way with me

just call me John Bull (tee hee, I'll remove my tongue from my cheek in a bit ))

in reply to the registered gas man ferrolli on sale here 329 includes flue and clock[modena 80] ,i do not know the ariston range but i do not think you will beat that, anyone for a dry roasted nut :LOL:

Well, I just got my first quote and it includes replacing the boiler and moving to a new location together with all the necessary re-routing of pipework (of which there's a lot) plus fitting a large 5' double radiator in the kitchen and removing all the old system from the loft area. A little over £2,200. Does this sound like a lot? He reckoned just for a boiler replacement it would be about £1,600...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back