WHICH BOILER WHICH CYLINDER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having decided that I like the look of the Valiant system boiler, and the Heatrae solar unvented megatank cylinder to replace my existing equipment. I had a quote from a medium size plumbing company who suggested the Ariston boiler and cylinder saying there cheaper just as good and unlike heatrae and valiant you are not paying for the name. Do you experts out there agree with his view. I was also advised to maintain the radiator system at low pressure, as moving to high pressure non vented risks a leak in the downstairs buried in concrete pipework. I'm told the advantages are very little but the consequences very large, this does seem good advice or is the salesman being over cautious.

Appreciate any views please.

PS: His price is about £1k more than the little self employed plummer down the road, but promotes the security in size of company.

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't touch Ariston with a barge pole, but then thats only my view from their past unreliable history.

Vaillant are very good and the Megaflo is the Rolls Royce of cylinders, with one of the largest coils (both) on the market.

The pipes you have in the floor could prove to be a problem, but usually this would occur through the flushing and cleansing process rather than just the slight increase in pressure. If you live in a house, then the pipes downstairs will be at about 3/4 Bar pressure anyway. A sealed system, assuming no leaks in old pipe work, will always be superior to an open vented system.

In this day and age I would take the security of a medium size company with a pinch of salt. They, along with the large ones, are the ones around our area who are laying off engineers rather quickly.

As he is £1K more for a lesser quality product, he seems to negate his argument for 'paying for the name' etc :rolleyes:

My advice would be to stick to the Vaillant and Megaflo with the smaller engineer. Hopefully he may, like myself and others on here, be able to offer an extended warranty on the Vaillant for no extra charge.

[/quote]The pipes you have in the floor could prove to be a problem, but usually this would occur through the flushing and cleansing process rather than just the slight increase in pressure. If you live in a house, then the pipes downstairs will be at about 3/4 Bar pressure anyway. A sealed system, assuming no leaks in old pipe work, will always be superior to an open vented system.

Thanks for useful info, as we are both in Norwich, you may like to quote for the work

Regards the underfloor piping. How big is the leak risk, can you put it into perspective? I noted no drips in the head tank, which is a good sign, But I agree the cleaning process is just as likely to pick up a bad joint as the increase in pressure. seems I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. The house was built around 1990.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back