which boiler

We are aware Bernard and basic physics is certainly part of that. I for one, and certainly most of my peers, do not go by marketing literature - we go by what we know works and have experience of. When trying something new it is through shared experience with our contemporaries - just like customers recommend a good engineer to their social group, we engineers do the same with a good product - that’s how it works and always will. 90% of the properties I work in are very similar, as are the expectations of the homeowners; it’s pretty much ‘same setup, different house’ and it works. For the other 10% that require more bespoke solutions, well that comes with a price tag to suit.

Sponsored Links
90% of the properties I work in are very similar, as are the expectations of the homeowners
True that! It's the government's job to legislate for details consumers and heating installers couldn't be expected to check or understand. Same with the VW emissions thing, no one does an emissions test on their own car, that's the government's job. That's why we now have to have condensing boilers, who'd bother with them otherwise? With a small market they'd not be any good anyway.
Lobby the government for better rules or tests to make a real difference.

Lobby the government for better rules or tests to make a real difference.

Ask the manufacturers for the formula / testing protocols that produce results that suggest the boiler is better than 100 % efficiency. Lobby the government to require manufacturers to provide that information. Perhaps even go as far as the government setting the testing protocols that manufacturers have to use.

I for one, and certainly most of my peers, do not go by marketing literature

The marketing literature influences the members of the public who are in the process of replacing a boiler. The vast majority of the public do not have the knowledge to realise the markieting claims are not achievable in real life. But they ask their plumber to install the boiler that appears to be the best going by the manufacturer's glossy brochure. How many installers would have the courage to tell the customer that their choice is based on impossible claims for efficiency, claims that cannot in normal use ever be achieved ?

The marketing literature influences the members of the public

Wrong. I have already informed you that the average “members of the public” do not study up on boiler marketing literature! They’re just not that interested... they don’t even read literature on what car to buy... they just watch JC and crew, adverts, or test drive what their richer work colleagues/friends/family members have.
YOU are the exception to the rule BG and you need to stop projecting your own personality traits onto the average Jo, in order to be relevant in this social community.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant, Worcester (
) and others advertise on TV direct to the members of the public. ( without it seems making claims about actual figures for efficiency )

Glossy brochures such as this one are produced,
ig122hi.jpg

which no doubt are passed on to members of the public either direct from the manufacturer or via installers. ( other brochures from other manufacturers are available )

I had a new combi installed on Monday, and after a lot of research into Worcester, Vaillant, Idealogic, I chose a Viessmann.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back