Which construction method

^woody^ said:
But have you considerd that the willow tree will now affect your shallower foundations? :eek:

I understand your point.

However the garage foundations i dug are more than 3 feet deep with between 7 and 8 inches of concrete, with 3 course of 6 inch solid concrete blocks before DPC.

That is enough for a single 6 inch skin, garage wall in my opinion.

The willow tree is as close to the house as the garage, the house foundations are half that of the garage and the house has stood for 90 years with no problems.

And before you say it, so has the tree ;)

Sponsored Links
BCO made me dig a trial pit and I dug it at the near left corner of where the building is to be cited.

There are tree stumps in the middle of the left edge and in the centre of the rear edge. These were clearly visible for the BCO to notice, however he didn't see them a problem, he merely said dig a stip 600 wide and 750mm deep. I suppose he might make further observations after I have dug the strip he has requested.

Roots can still be a problem with some stumps, have you thought about getting a stump grinder in, they grind the root well below the surface level.

Whats a stump grinder ? I have used an industrial rotivator !!!

Sponsored Links
WOW. your games room is going to be bigger than my house including the garden!

8m x 8m (100ft x 100ft) thats an insane amount of space for a games room.

100ft from your house too.

If you have that much land, then surely you can afford a proper building company to come round and do the work.

kybert said:
8m x 8m (100ft x 100ft) thats an insane amount of space for a games room.
I think you got your sum wrong ;) or is it 8 square miles? :LOL:

ESA said:
Whats a stump grinder ? I have used an industrial rotivator !!!

This is a stump grinder.

stump_grinder_200x240.jpg

You can hire one in with an operator, takes the stump well below the surface and effectively kills the whole thing.

Lol - That stump grinder looks like a fun machine.

Won't be using it though as I hope to lift the stumps out with an excavator.

ESA said:
Lol - That stump grinder looks like a fun machine.

Won't be using it though as I hope to lift the stumps out with an excavator.

Be prepared for a big hole :LOL: the root ball on older trees can be rather large.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back