Better construction method to keep heat in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just after some opinions. Im going to be building an outbuilding out of block that will be in use all year round. What would be the better construction method to keep it warmer in the winter?

Option 1 - Double skin block wall (no cavity), with plasterboard dot and dabbed.

Option 2 - single skin block wall (would need a pier in the middle) with the are between piers studded and plaster-boarded with 75mm foam insulation between the brick and plasterboard?

Or wont it really matter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
"2" will have a nice cold strip of wall in the shape of the pier.

I'd be looking for a 3rd or 4th option involving a continuous, unbroken layer of at least 60mm PIR, and lots insulation in the roof and some in the floor, draught sealed construction and openings. Beacuse it's not just about the walls.

I'd also be bearing in mind that insulated walls don't magically make the enclosed room warm

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need the pier. Just build it like a timber-framed house, with ties between the frame and outer skin.

Having said that, I'd go for block-block every time. This way you'll get some thermal mass on the inside of the cavity that will stabilise the temperature. Plus it won't rot away and will be a proper solid wall.

The fact that it's an outbuilding is irrelevant. It's exactly the same issue as choosing how to build a house, and you'll find a million comparisons and opinions on each side for either method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back