Which Evergreen Hedge (Foundation Issue/privacy)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Could someone suggest a evergreen hedge which will not upset my foundation.I have a 1930 terrace house and would like to add some privacy.I am though against leylandii and Yew as one is fast and nuisance,other is slow to grow.

Next door neighbors have moved out and rented their house to the wrong lot,who have a habit of peeping 24/7.I have tried to ignore it for 5-6 months and now its getting on my nerves.I am all for friendly neighbor and help but its getting to much now.

I want to maintain it at a height of 6 foot.
Suggestions please:

Evergreen,non invasive(shallow or tap roots).Medium/fast growth rate.I do not mind trimming.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy,

Apologies but forgot to mention it is dividing our front garden.I have pyracanta at the back.The next door have kids,and as i gather I do not want them to brush against it and get hurt with the nasty thorns.

If it were the rear I would be happy to go along with it.

Sponsored Links
A lonicera ntida will grow pretty quick but not too big root wise.

To be honest any hedge maintained at 6 feet is not going to have any affect on foundations.

The fastest and easiest to grow would be a griselinia then a common laurel close second. Both are easily capable of growing up to 20 ft plus though so if left to get out of hand can get very big.

Pyracantha are very slow relative to other more common hedge choices.

Personally i really like cotoneasters for hedging and they will grow at a fair pace but not quite the root of laurels or griselinia. Franchetti is a favourite of mine. Does drop leaves a bit in cold winters.

As these hedges will be going near the house wall ie, around 1 foot away from house,will that be ok.

The area of the hedge will hardly get any sun as its the coldest spot and also on clay soil.Which of these would be suitable.
Thanks.

a cherry laurel will grow as thick as a small to medium tree-at my last house i let one grow over 6 metres on its own and i wouldnt want that growing 1ft away from my house. even if you keep the height down its stil going to thicken up in the trunk.

i would say to go for the lonicera nitida, really friendly plant but they get a bit thin if you grow them as tall as you want.

go for an oval leaf privet, ligustrum ovalfolium. evergreen, nice scented white flowers, clips nearly as nice as a buxus hedge. quick growing and happy in shade or sun.

A lonicera ntida will grow pretty quick but not too big root wise.

Personally i really like cotoneasters for hedging and they will grow at a fair pace but not quite the root of laurels or griselinia. Franchetti is a favourite of mine. Does drop leaves a bit in cold winters.

I really like C. franchetii too. lovely berries for the birds. Privet is an old favourite but less popular these days. I have a plant that look like Holly but isn't, and lacks the spikes, it's very attractive.

Lonicera nitida I have is very low, still much less than 1m tall in 2 years now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back