Which floor varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to varnish my wooden floor downstairs - lounge and hallway and need advice as to which varnish to use.

The choices I have are:

Industrial grade varnish with seperate hardner £90 per 5 litres

Johnstones floor varnish £45 per 5 litres

I want to do a proper job and make sure it lasts, but do I really need to industrial varnish in a domestic situation? Will there really be any benefit?

Any advice greately appreciated.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Done my house (pine floors) with hardwaxoil which is superb stuff IMO, looks natural and is plenty tough enough for domestic purposes

Been down 2 years and barely a mark on it, and over time it cures and ages beautifully

Any polyurethane varnish will last for ever (almost)

Or you could go the water based route and use Dulux diamond glaze, suposed to be ten times harder than polyurethene.

Sponsored Links
Or you could go the water based route and use Dulux diamond glaze, suposed to be ten times harder than polyurethene.

It scratches. It's rubbish in my opinion. Polyurethane will last 20 years plus.

Osmo do a good hard wax oil, excellent for floors.

Polyurethane is good, but it's getting rarer, because its DANGEROUS, and SMELLY!!
Soon there'll be fighting over the last cans in the backstreet hardware shops....

I totally agree with you Joe ! I'm a lover of oil based products and am convinced they give a harder and more durable finish. Water based has its advantages of course. Some peolpe think they are dangerous but thats a load of tripe !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back