Which grade of sandpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for advice on which grade of sandpaper provided the best & fastest results for preparing a surface for painting. I have some wood panelling in my kitchen that has already been painted a couple of times in the past. The last time with emulsion I think!. The area is quite big and I want to do a good job but not spend ages on. I'm looking at repainting with dulux satinwood. The previous job looked rushed and is a bit bumpy/runny in places. Will the surface have to be completely smooth to look good, or will the santinwood conceal all before!!

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how good a job you want to do, it's all in the prep.

If it really has many coats of paint on I'd consider getting the heat gun on and stripping back to wood, then sand and clean with sugar soap - prime and continue.

But I've found 80 or 120 fine for rubbing down old paint work, and provides a decent key. Make sure surface is clean before painting tho.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back