What grade Sandpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be redecorating some rooms, in which the walls have been painted over the years. I will be sanding the walls down to remove some of the layers of paint, and will be filling in any imperfections with fine filler, and sanding over again. My questions are:

a) What grade of sandpaper do I need for the initial removal of paint (I have the choice between a belt or 1/2 sheet sander)

b) What grade of sandpaper for sanding down 'filled' areas

c) What grade of sandpaper for sanding imperfect areas between coats of paint

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Question for you....

are the walls really that bad that you have to take a few layers off?...are they covered in sags and runs, brush and roller marks?

Or are you trying a bit to hard to create a perfect wall before you roll it again and put back a rollered finish?

Just wondered because ve seen it a lot....people sand and sand and sand walls...not really knowing why....then put back exactly the same textured finished as they had bfore...(im talk paint texture here not textured paint like the stuff with the bits in.)

If the current wall finish is vinyl silk then you will have to use wet and dry paper to sand them....the ordinary stuff will clog and little 'discs' will form on the abrasice paper you use....rendering it virtually useless.

Start with a low grade..say about 120 grit....then 240, that should be good enough....

If the walls are matt finish then isd got for aluminium oxide paper (the green, yeollow stuff) if they are really rough then start with a 40 grade.....if they are reasonable go 60 80 100......

For rubbing down beteen coats and rubbing down filler.....100 grade should do you.

Unless they are really bad though I wouldnt go over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back