Which heating dontrols for Potterton boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Potterton boiler which has a Honeywell roomstat and a Switchmaster programmer. I am keeping the boiler but having a pressurised system installed. Which roomstat is recommended? Is wireless any good? What about a programmer? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Why are you sealing an old boiler.

Not advisable, and depending on the boiler, not possible

Where in Sussex are you?

Sponsored Links
Sealing a system is the same as pressurising the system. (doing away with the expansion tank and fitting an expansion vessel)
Your Profile has rubber gaskets on the heat exchanger and if not in perfect condition will fail.

Sealing a system is the same as pressurising the system. (doing away with the expansion tank and fitting an expansion vessel)
Your Profile has rubber gaskets on the heat exchanger and if not in perfect condition will fail.
Thanks for the explanation.
Can the condition of the gaskets be checked?
If they fail, is the remedy expensive?

It is a legal requirement that ALL boilers connected to a pressurised "Sealed" system, MUST have a Latching Overheat thermostat (i.e. need to be manually reset after operating) make sure yours has this type of overheat!! TBH if you are going to all the expense of sealing the system, why not just fit a "System Boiler"? ;)

They are not difficult to see when the case is off. Get them checked and if they show any signs of leakage then beware of sealing your system.
The parts to repair it are not expensive, but the time to do it will be.

It is a legal requirement that ALL boilers connected to a pressurised "Sealed" system, MUST have a Latching Overheat thermostat (i.e. need to be manually reset after operating) make sure yours has this type of overheat!! TBH if you are going to all the expense of sealing the system, why not just fit a "System Boiler"? ;)
Hi
I've been advised that replacing the expansion tank and immersion heater with an unvented pressurised cylinder running from the existing boiler is the way to increase low hot water pressure and increase storage......good advice or not?
Thanks

They are not difficult to see when the case is off. Get them checked and if they show any signs of leakage then beware of sealing your system.
The parts to repair it are not expensive, but the time to do it will be.
Thanks for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back