Which HIVE product

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

As HIVE appear to be particularly unhelpful, can any of you guys/gals tell me which HIVE product (or alternative brand) I need.

I have an oil-fired combi boiler (therefore no hot water to control) and just want to be able to check and set the heating thermostat and maybe heating schedule over the web.

Thanks.

Chris

Sponsored Links
So this gets weirder..............

I called HIVE and they took me through the products, decided that the regular HIVE thermostat was right (as it gives the ability to schedule), I told the guy that I had an oil-fired combi-boiler which was fine but when we got to installation, he went away to talk to "his second line team" and then came back and said that HIVE products are no longer compatible with oil-fired combi-boilers and that I should contact British Gas.

Not a scoobie whats going on now although I suspect that the compatibility thing is *******s and they're just pushing me to get BG to do the install for a wad of cash.

Thoughts please guys/gals........are there decent alternatives to HIVE that do the same thing?

Not sure I believe that about compatibility. Hive should work, but there's plenty of internet based thermostats available, a Nest E might be of use, a Tado, Honeywell, Drayton Wiser, to name a few

Sponsored Links
Do you have existing external controls for the boiler such as a timeswitch / programmer or thermostat? If so, and you provide details somone may be able to advise a suitable replacement. Also the make model of your boiler might help.

Reactions: CBW
I see no reason why Hive wall thermostat should not work with a non modulating boiler (oil) but not so sure about the TRV heads.

I fitted Energenie TRV heads in mothers house with a gas modulating boiler and once set they worked A1, but brought them with us here, and they are not as good with a boiler that cycles on/off.

Idea is the TRV controls the flow and as they close it opens the by pass valve so return water gets hotter which turns down boiler output so boiler does not turn on/off but up/down.

This clearly is not the case with oil, the boiler turns on/off, so the valves are opening when the boiler turns off, and closing when it turns on again, so I can see how some TRV heads may not like doing this, but that's the TRV heads not the wall thermostat.

Moes do a range of three thermostats one for under floor heating one of boiler can't remember what the third was for, but they are cheap hard wired wifi connected thermostats, one could simply use a sonoff relay to turn heating on/off remotely, however if you want geofencing then the selection is harder, I have Nest Gen 3 and there is no way to set the distance, so a bit useless. I can set home and away temperatures but my oil system takes some time to warm the house, so would need to be 30 miles to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back