which is better to use hard wall, or pb. urgent help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house built in 1900, We are renovating the kitchen and bathroom.

the kitchen which is striped to bricks
one plaster suggested to use:
hard walled. And the long external wall will also have sand and cement.
the Ceiling: plaster board.

But the other plaster which we want to use suggest to use:
sand and cement long external wall, and the rest of the kitchen will be plasterboard.

the bathroom which is striped to brick wall
The first plaster suggested the brick walls will be wet plastered and the rest will be special bathroom plaster board.Ceiling : special bathroom plaster board.

The second plaster suggested to plaster board the whole bathroom,

Pls i need your help and advice what is batter to use for both the bathroom and the kitchen wall as i have no clue :( . I just need something strong and last forever as it Is my family dream home.

I really appreciate your advise and help.

Sponsored Links
i wouldent go with either of those options i would use sand and cement on all the walls and normal plasterboard on both ceilings.

and a third agreement that sand and cement all walls and normal plasterboard on both ceilins is the best way.
unanamous decision ;)

Sponsored Links
Sand and cement is the superior finish - but in my opinion it is way too cold. In a house with walls of solid construction it'll feel as cold as ice in winter and will often stream with condensation. Your rooms will never feel warm and your bills will go through the roof. It's all about insulation today so I'd look at battening the outer walls and even using insulated plasterboard as well. I love traditional crafts - but we've got to get with the modern age when it comes to the ever increasing fuel bills. I doubt many will agree - but you've got to think about that sort of thing.

if you do go for that option in the kitchen particulay its goin to be worth working out where all your wall and base units are goin to fall and noggin out the wall where the fixings are goin to to be otherwise you will have very weak fixings for your units

turned into a good debate and joe i think you're onto something, on the face of it S&C is the obvious choice but it does depend on the construction of your house, modern methods do have a lot going for them but the downside is like you say, the studding needs careful planning in a kitchen.

IF insulation is an issue, and you need solid, damproofed walls into which you can fix anything anywhere -

Sand and cement float coat with thermal board fixed with nailable plugs.

Skim this.

If 12 mm of hardwall vs 12 mmm of sand and cement is going to make a major difference to your house in terms of insulation , is this your main concern?

good point Mic, not sure OP knows the answer to that question, sure it hasn't been brought up by either spread as yet, curious as to why one has suggested a mix of both hardwall and S&C in the same room?

looking back at the original post, the requirement is 'last forever' - well nothing will last forever but plasterboard CERTAINLY DOESN'T fit into this category IMO, ceilings fine as they are out of harms way...well unless you have plumbing above that could leak or it's so old it'll 'nail-pop' on you at some point...i digress.

would be good to know more about the age and construction of the property though, may well be that S&C is fine for the whole kitchen but maybe gypsum in the bathroom with so much condensation around.

Entsar";p="1833163 said:
Our house built in 1900, We are renovating the kitchen and bathroom.

the kitchen which is striped to bricks
one plaster suggested to use:
hard walled. And the long external wall will also have sand and cement.
the Ceiling: plaster board.

But the other plaster which we want to use suggest to use:
sand and cement long external wall, and the rest of the kitchen will be plasterboard.

the bathroom which is striped to brick wall
The first plaster suggested the brick walls will be wet plastered and the rest will be special bathroom plaster board.Ceiling : special bathroom plaster board.

The second plaster suggested to plaster board the whole bathroom,

Pls i need your help and hen advice what is batter to use for both the bathroom and the kitchen wall as i have no clue :( . I just need something strong and last forever as it Is my family dream home.

if you want it 2 last and you dont want2 pay silly money,give it a coat of sbr.when dry give it another.when the second coat is pickin up apply the sand and cement.**** 2 a blanket i tell ya.obd if u dont care about the money fix a couple of layers of thermal cement board on top then skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back