Rendering bathroom walls - step-by-step pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am thinking of renewing a small bathroom - 9' x 9'.

Floor to be covered by large 400x600x12mm Travertine tiles and possibly the walls too, to ceiling height.

Due to the type of tiles to go on the walls, I hear I need to to remove all the plaster, right back to brick and "render" the walls with sand cement?? Is this correct?

If, after rendering, I changed my mind and wanted to use porcelain tiles on the walls, can I still tile on render?

What is the process of rendering, assume brick or cement (like the old BISH houses) facia, after ripping down all the plaster?

Do I wash the walls with PVA? make?
What is the render mix that I would use? makes?
How thick? - I plan on sticking batons on the brickwork to your recommended render thickness, then slap it on, let it set slightly and run another baton along the spacer batons to get a smooth and consistent render thickness? - good idea?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Travertine tiles are porus,

In other words water will pass through the tile and if you have conventional gypsum based plasters then im afraid after a while it will go like weetabix,.

One day you will hear the sound of crashing tiles hitting your lovely new bath.

I think you can buy something to seal them but not sure. best thing would be to ask the question on the tilling forum and ask the mighty gcol (He who knows everything about tiles)

If you do render, you can apply any tile to it. think of it as a swimming pool instead of a bathroom.

If you have never plastered before then rendering is probably NOT the best way to learn, get a pro in to do it, trust me i'm a plasterer.

good luck...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back