Bathroom - Rendering or Plastering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started to do up the bathroom in an ex-council flat.

The walls are a nightmare - some corners are not right-angled and many walls are not flat. I filled-in all major depressions (30mm deep) using sand-cement render and I was just going to start tilling using the tile adhesive to overcome the uneven wall problems. What a mistake. To make the walls flat and corners to be right-angled meant filling almost 35mm adhesive behind tiles utilising "dot an dab". This seemed wrong so I stopped and removed the tiles.

I know I must prepare walls properly before I start to tile again.

I do not know what is best to do plaster or render. I want to start tiling as soon as possible. I have been told of quick setting plaster but I cannot locate any stockist. Another alternative is to rendered it using sand and rapid setting cement.

Which one is most cost effective?
How long must I leave the wall to dry before tilling?
Is it possible to fix the tile directly onto the render while its still wet, i.e. using the render as the tile adhesive and reducing the preparation/tilling time.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you want a quick fix so try using bonding with a handful of cement in it to speed up setting then tile.

And no I wouldn't tile until cured. Bonding will cure quicker than render and is much easier to use.

I personally would throw in a couple of hand's full of multi or board finish to aid a rapid setting time.

definitely NO to cement, but maybe clout knows something i don't ???

If he does, then i will buy the drinks at the next DIY NOT christmas get together :D

Sponsored Links
Large glass of merlot please.

It works, not recommended but an old trick. I've only done it a couple of times on small areas like returns or fire places and it goes off like an out of date / damp bag.

I always keep half an out of date bag of multi in the van which can also speed up setting times when added to a mix!! Again not recommended but there are times when one needs a little help!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back