Which laser measuring device?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I carry out a jobs "on the side" and it's not easy to having to keep borrowing the laser distance measure thing from my company so I am looking at purchasing one for my own use.

Can anybody recommend any and where to get one from?

I have come across many different ones on eBay but recommendations would be appreciated :) I know they can be quite pricey and I'm willing to spend up to £100.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anything from Leica will be very good although if you want new I think you'll be struggling to go Leica with £100 budget. As with everything in life you generally get what you pay for! Realistically most features of the pricey ones you will hardly ever use, an angle measurer can be handy though as can a timer but you may be looking at more than £100 for those features unless you stick to ebay and even then it seems decent models rarely turn up there. There are a few online places doing second hand equipment but it didn't seem worth it when I last bought one. I find a measuring stick pretty essential too for my surveys. Frankly, cost was second place when I bought mine, a mistake can cost a lot more than the price of decent Disto! Got mine from Merlin Lazer who seemed ok.

Yeh the one I currently use, which is the company's laser is a Leica one.

Yep, definetaly can recommend the Leica unit. I tried a few of the ultrasonic measuring devices but they just aren't accurate enough. I've used the Leica Disto for about 4 years and wouldn't be without it. I went for the Disto Plus which at the time was about £500 purchased from York Survey Supply Centre:
This is the current model:
http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/measuring/leica-disto/2477/leica-disto-d8-laser.html
I went for this particular model as it had the bluetooth connectivity and in theory could transfer the measurements to a laptop whilst measuring. This turned out to be a bit limited and I now don't bother with that feature.
One of the shortcomings of laser measurement as I'm sure you are aware is their use outdoors in sunshine when you can't see the laser dot. Even using enhancement glasses and special reflective target plates doesn't always get round this problem.
If I was purchasing at the moment I would go for the Disto D5 as it has a zoom function which they say get's round the problem of the measuring in bright light. Current model is £349. See:
http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/measuring/leica-disto/2472/leica-disto-d5-laser.html.
I suppose though the problem is that you are only using it on a limited time basis so maybe the outlay is too much.

Sponsored Links
If I was purchasing at the moment I would go for the Disto D5 as it has a zoom function which they say get's round the problem of the measuring in bright light.
I have this chappy, as you say on a bright day it can be very difficult trying to find the laser dot if its on white render or similar if its any distance away and the zoom camera function only really works well when its on the tripod. When alls said and done you still need to carry a tape! :rolleyes: :p You can see the screen though in the brightest of sunlight, bit more than his £100 budget though. :(

I would NEVER EVER carry out a survey with a tape, so don't worry about that. I'm only wanting a laser for overall dimensions and some floor to ceiling heights (in stairwells), etc...

My Disto Plus does have an optical sighting arrangement on it which helps at a distance. Definately still need the tape measure as well though as you say. The laser is OK for measuring between surfaces but to measure over two edges you either need the sighting plates which fit on the corner (great for long distance measurement or measuring where obstacles hinder the use of a tape) or use the good old measuring tape. I have a pilot's case which is full of my kit for surveys. It even has the old hardwood surveyor's lathe in it.

What's wrong with using a tape. As far as I'm concerned it is just that a laser is so much easier to use if you're on your own (which is the case most of the time).
Another item of kit which I've found to be very useful at times is the Stanley cross line laser level. When you're surveying a property which has an enclosed stairwell where you can't drop a line this level sat on a mid step gives a level datum to measure to.

Aye, a tape is impossible to avoid for either distances where a Disto won't fit or for awkward/outdoor distances or when its too bright as previously mentioned where a Disto is impractical. What do you think we used before Disto's DevilDamo? And what happens if you forget your spare batteries?

I think Damo meant to say he would never ever carry out a survey without a tape.

Apologies. I slight typo. I always carry a tape with me. The laser would be used to check longer distances, overall's, etc...

I picked up the basic stanley model from ebay for £55. Works very well. Seems accurate after some basic tests with a tape measure. Easy to use, too. I'm sure the leica is better but this does enough for me

I think the Stanley model is an utrasonic device which in my experience of trying two different models wouldn't measure more accuratley than 50mm. Please let me know though if that model is better than that.

Stanley do ultrasonics and lasers although some of the ebay descriptions are a bit vague so be careful. Mine is a proper laser.

This is the one I use:

http://ptd.leica-geosystems.com/en/Leica-DISTO-D2_69656.htm

Got it for approx £120-130 approx 6 mths ago..........perfect for what u need + Leica also ;)

Very small pocket sized, water + dust proof, area + volume calculations, illuminated displays etc

With the laser generally - it's a strong output, easily visible internally + brilliant at night upto approx 60m. During the day externally, point it to the ground + gradually take it upto point of measurement, always keeping en eye on the laser.........you can follow it 99% of the time upto approx 20-25m........more than enough for me. If you really need a check distance upto 60m just go back in the evening !!!

Overall brilliant bit of kit, I have mates who have bought disto's from £20-£70 and they range from pathetic to unreliable. It takes me 50% of the time it used to take to survey a building + is very accurate.

By the way.........I don't work for Leica if you were wondering ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back