Which Lintel to use for summer house bi-fold doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Shortly I will be building a summerhouse where I want to install a set of 8ft bi-fold doors. I have not purchased these doors yet although some I have looked at seem to be self assembly 'top' hung doors which are made from wood and the UPVC type which I'm guessing slide independantly in their own frame.

Anyway, I am worried about the type of lintel to use. I was going to span the opening with 2 lengths of 6x2 timber bolted together and 9ft in length. But someone has said that I should use steel.

Just for info, the roof above the opening will consist of 6x2 rafters, 18mm OSB, membrane and felt shingles.

Anyone with some advice would be very much appreciated as I intend to start this project in 2-3 weeks time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You want something that doesnt deflect too much or the top runner will stick and not work properly.. the door manufacturer should be able to help more.. I would go for steel beam or off shelf steel lintel

Or make a flitch beam with 140m x 10mm flat plate between your 150mm timbers, and then it will be easier to clad and no cold bridge from steel

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back