Which Lintel to Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm cutting a new doorway in an upstairs bedroom to allow direct access to the bathroom. Above the new opening, there will be 2 courses of blocks remaining. On top of that, the ceiling joists sit. They run from the left and right of the house to the middle wall (in which I'm now adding a doorway).

I can see the other doorways in that wall have concrete lintels. So when I went to B&Q today my intention was to pick up this prestressed concrete lintel.

While there, I noticed they have this corrugated type steel lintel too, which is a lot shallower. Meaning I have to cut less out of the wall.

Is this OK to use as well? I need to get this signed off by building control, so I want to be sure this is OK.

Sponsored Links
The corrugated lintel depends partly for its effectiveness by being built-in as work proceeds - hence the holes for the mortar. The 100 x 65 conc lintel would be more suitable and probably cheaper.
TBH, if it's just a doorway, a piece of 100 x 75 timber would be just as good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back