Concrete or steel box lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to build an internal blockwork wall that will have floor joists hung off it. Will the structural engineer for the job specify the type of lintel to be used above the doorway or will I have a choice between concrete and steel box?

Are steel box lintels better/stronger than reinforced concrete ones? They seem to cost about 3 times as much.

Sponsored Links
He may specify, but a concrete lintel would be easier for you to base coat plaster to and I don't see why your SE would say one over the other>

If there is little masonry to be built above the lintel then a concrete fella may not be suitable so it may mean having to use a steel box.

If there is little masonry to be built above the lintel then a concrete fella may not be suitable so it may mean having to use a steel box.
Thanks for the replies. Why would a concrete one not be suitable if there was only a little masonry above?

Sponsored Links
Any point loading on brickwork is spread by it's bonding. If the load is directly on top of the lintel, or almost because of only 1 course on top the weight is less evenly distributed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back