Which "push-fit" items to plumb in a washing machi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a 72 year-old novice and would like advice on which push-fit fittings are required/to use when plumbing in a washing machine. The machine is a used Indesit A1635 Advantage and comes with its hot, cold and drain hoses.

Under my kitchen sink I have 1/2" copper hot and cold water supply lines which go directly to the sink taps plus what looks to be about a 2" plastic drain pipe.

I have the confidence to tackle the job but I know nothing about push-fit plumbing. My question - if somebody is kind enough to answer it - is, which fittings (and any special tools) do I need to purchase to connect the hot and cold hoses to the copper supply pipes and how do I connect the drain hose (which is straight and has a simple flange on its end) to the plastic drain pipe?

Is there anything I should be aware of regarding fitting difficulties?

I do not know the correct names of the fittings I probably need but I would basically expect them to be called things like: tee joints, valves, washers, etc. As I hope to obtain these on ebay, I would like the best description possible, please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - in advance.

Sponsored Links
Greengo, I mean no offence, but you're looking for something approaching an entire plumbing course in a nutshell.

Principally, you need appliance valves for the hot and cold services, and a washing machine trap for the waste. However, depending on the existing set-up you might need a plethora of sundry bits and pieces to make the job a good one.

My main advice is not to buy anything from eBay - you'd be better off approaching your local plumbers' merchant at a slack time (e.g. 2pm), and soliciting their help in selecting components.

may I just echo Softus' words here...

DO NOT BUY YOUR FITTINGS FROM EBAY!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with eBay. I have used it to purchase quite a few good items (and sold a few... I wonder how my wife is getting on with that Buyer?)... Anyway, I digress, you may get lucky and successfully bid and buy good quality fittings but if you end up with something that LOOKS like quality only to have it fail later on and flood your kitchen it will end up costing you a lot more to clean up the mess and re-plumb than it would to do the job right from the start.

May I suggest a trip to your local library or a purchase of a decent DIY plumbing book. Collins do a very good book called....

(Just doing a quick check on Amazon)

Ah found it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Com...f=pd_ka_1/026-7290211-5206865?ie=UTF8&s=books

That is my recommendation because as Softus has said, 'you're looking for something approaching an entire plumbing course in a nutshell'. This book won't make you into a Plumber or any other tradesman for that matter but it will explain what you require. I know because some cheeky sod bought it for me!!!! I mean the Patio hasn't been waiting that long to be laid! ;)

Good luck Greengo and let us know how you get on.

It must be nice to still be alive at 72.

I wonder if you were to tell someone all about your wartime experiences perhaps they might come and do it for you free as a gesture towards the elderly who fought for the freedom of our country?

You are a little too far for me but perhaps Chris might oblige? He is rather quiet today. Perhaps he is mending a Jaguar boiler 50 miles from home?

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I wonder if you were to tell someone all about your wartime experiences perhaps they might come and do it for you free as a gesture towards the elderly who fought for the freedom of our country?
Um, Agile, Greengo would have been merely nine years old when World War II ended, and most of us already know about the Mickey Mouse novelty gas masks...

Many thanks to Softus, Blasphemous and Agile for your interest and replies. Your input is greatly appreciated.

I didn't think it would be so complicated/difficult to install a washing machine. Perhaps that's why plumbers are so expensive!!!

Thanks for the advice regarding ebay, library, plumbing merchant, etc. Will have to rethink the whole thing. Luckily I'm not in too much of a hurry.

By the way, I was only ten years old when WWII finished although I do remember bits of it especially the part about being evacuated to the midlands.

Once again, thanks, and a happy new year to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back