washing machine plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Not sure if this should be in the "Appliances" forum)

Just moved house, washing machine now sits in the garage. I never saw how the previous owners had theirs plumbed in (should have thought about that really).

Anyway I've identified hot and cold inlet valves on the wall (though there's only one inlet pipe on the machine, so I'm assuming it's just the cold one to connect to), but I can't work out what to do with the waste hose. The only logical point is a 40mm pipe (no attachment fitting/threads or anything like that) which goes horizontally through the wall and then 45 degrees down the side of the outside wall. This then drains straight into the same outside drain as the nearby rainwater downpipe.

Is this the washing machine waste pipe? (I guess the reason I'm not sure is that I'm sure I read something recently that the washing machine shouldn't drain into a rainwater drain and vice versa. That said, the building survey talks of a Combined foul and surface water system)

If so, am I permitted to ask here how best to connect the drain hose on the machine to this pipe?

ta

Sponsored Links
Yes all new washing machines are cold fill only. The waste pipe usually clips over into a standpipe, but don't know your setup. If the surface water drain joins with the foul drainage system then not really a problem. :)

Might be an idea to put a ubend on the pipe to stop smells from drains coming back in, and prevent the waste hose going outside as it can freeze in cold weather.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back