Which Router

S

Susiejb

Does which modem you use actually make any difference to speed or connection (when using more than one item online at the same time).
Or is it all dependent on the BT line into your home.

Can't decide whether to change from SKY to Orange ...... apparently the Orange router is much better.

Thanks
susie :)

ooops should this be in hardware :confused:

Sponsored Links
Some are better than others, but not drastically. Certainly not worth changing ISP over.

Orange's router is no better than any other crippled ISP provided toy.

Monkeh ....is it possible then to buy your own modem that would be better for multiple items....and roughly how much do they cost.

Monkeh ....is it possible then to buy your own modem that would be better for multiple items....and roughly how much do they cost.

What makes you think your existing router is having problems?

Sponsored Links
Well...we have main computer, two laptops, an ipad and an ipod.

When we logged into one ...... another one would lose connection (sometimes not always). I phoned sky and I changed the settings to allow more channels (I think) and it does seem much better.

Its just that my daughter in law who works for Orange said their router was better than the sky one, so I thought it may be better to change.

Thanks for your help ..... its a bit of a minefield for me.

Ouch......that is expensive !!! .......I'm not that desperate !!!

Regarding the Orange router.....we have had the Sky one for ages and I thought there may be some better ones about now.

I will probably stick with Sky I must say they are very helpful if you phone with a problem......maybe its a case of better the devil you know.....

Thank you for your hep ....much appreciated :)

Well that is at least a sensible price, so its worth considering.

I seem to remember that Cornwall was promised to be the first for super fast broadband ...... I don't know if that is in the pipeline :?:

Well that is at least a sensible price, so its worth considering.

I seem to remember that Cornwall was promised to be the first for super fast broadband ...... I don't know if that is in the pipeline :?:

Dunno about you, but I'm getting FTTC in March. Supposedly. I was also meant to get ADSL2+ in March 2008. And then November 2008. March 2009.. November 2009. March 2010. November 2010. March 2011. Finally arrived in August..

might it be an i.p conflict? would it be worth setting up manual i.p addresses for each piece of hardware first and see how that goes?

might it be an i.p conflict? would it be worth setting up manual i.p addresses for each piece of hardware first and see how that goes?

DHCP is designed to prevent this, and every remotely modern OS performs checks to prevent such things occuring on obtaining a DHCP lease.

For what it's worth, the various ISPs buy their routers from the main suppliers like Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc. They then flash them with their own version of the firmware, put their own logos on them and ship them out. Where wi-fi is being problematical, it may be worth getting hold of a wireless "sniffer" to see which channels are being used in your immediate locality, and then manually setting your router to one of the lesser-used channels.

Where wi-fi is being problematical, it may be worth getting hold of a wireless "sniffer" to see which channels are being used in your immediate locality, and then manually setting your router to one of the lesser-used channels.

Sound as if that's already been done, hence my suggestion of 5GHz or using multiple APs.

Sponsored Links
Back