Orange Broadband and Sky Multiroom connection problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had ongoing problems after having Sky Multiroom installed. We have Orange Broadband with all connections to telephone, Sky, Computer etc etc having an ASDL 'splitter'. For some reason, the Sky Multiroom connection upstairs does not allow the Internet to work when connected to the BT Box on the landing. When unplugging the Sky connector the Internet works OK. When unplugging the Internet, Sky works OK. Bearing in mind that Sky is connected downstairs all the time with no apparent problems.
Consequently, having spent an absolute fortune telephoning around the world to BT, Orange and Sky, no one is willing to take responsibility.
I did have a little fortune in eventually obtaining the assistance of a BT engineer, who couldn't find any problems with both downstairs and upstairs BT boxes, and then later received a bill for £110 !!
Supposedly, to Sky regulations, I must have the telephone line connected upstairs to the Sky box, but because we never use any of their services, feel that the best option at the moment is to leave that unconnected due to using the Internet regularly on a daily basis.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Be prepaired for a snotty letter from Sky!! They need both boxes plugged into the same landline so they can check they are both at the same address I believe. One of my sky boxes couldn't dial through hence I got the letter lol. Fixed now.
Anyway, I take it you have plugged the upstairs sky box into an ADSL filter before plugging it into the landing? Have you tried a known working ADSL filter?

Appreciate your reply.

Funnily enough, I've had a letter from Sky today !!!

Yes, every line has an ASDL splitter attached and still problems. Do you think if I install another box by the one upstairs and connect both together, then have the sky connector into one box on its own, would help matters or not?

As you can see, I'm 'clutching at straws' now !

It shouldn't take any hurt if you try it.
Does the digibox have its original telephone cable or one that the sky man made up? Can you try a different phone cable? Does it do this if the only two pieces of apparatus plugged into the phone line are the digibox and the ADSL modem?

Sponsored Links
I don't know how I've sorted the problem, but both are now connected and apparently up and running. Initially, I had a double adaptor in the BT box upstairs, with an ASDL connector attached. The phone line was placed into the ASDL filter, with the computer connection in the other position of the double adaptor. The Sky connector was left disconnected because no matter where you placed it, it interferred with the Broadband, which worked satisfactorily with these particular connections.
I had a silly idea of trying a double adaptor in the top part of the other double adaptor, connecting both the computer and Sky, but no ASDL filter. The bottom connector still had the ASDL filter with the telephone line attached. This somehow worked, but I don't know why. As it stands, the Sky upstairs is not connected via an ASDL filter, but just through double adaptors. The Sky downstairs is connected via an ASDL filter as it should be. Although the computer is not connected via an ASDL filter at the BT box upstairs, it does have a micro converter at the computer end of the extension cable.
It's a silly suggestion, but could I have had too many ASDL filters initially installed, which may have disabled others?

Its possiable, i dont understand totally but you only have so much REN on a telephone line, a phone is usually 1 REN, some things are more, so if you try and plug too much in, it just wont work :(

Back